Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Doom Patrol

It is winter break at the schools, so I will save any subbing stories until school is back in session. That means it's time to talk about a TV show.

When it comes to TV shows, I sort of collect lists of what sort of looks interesting, but I don't actually start any until the right mood strikes. In late November, the mood was finally right to start Doom Patrol. (Well, that and the new season had started, which meant it was at the top of the streaming page.) 

And... it's dark. I made it through the pilot, barely. It took about half of the first season for me to be on board. (It helped that I don't have much to watch at the moment, so each night I'd just start the next episode.) I like the show, but with reservations. 

We start out with five main characters. In season one, they're trying to find their "chief", the man who found them all and has tried to help them. 

So, for some character soup: we've got Cliff the robot (whose brain was the only thing that survived a car accident), Jane with DID (and each of her personalities has a different superpower), Jack who has an energy being trapped inside him (and who almost died in a plane crash), Rita the former movie star (who turns into a blob of goo), and Victor the cyborg. 

It's not your typical superhero show. These characters are damaged. They've all suffered some serious trauma, and the show is mostly about how they deal with that, and with their superpowers (which they don't really use to save people). 

The best way to get a feel for it is to see a trailer. The show just finished its fourth (and last) season, so I'm posting all four seasons' trailers. 

Season one:

Season two:

Season three:

And season four:

Have you seen Doom Patrol? Is there another show you could recommend to me? (I'm always on the lookout for something to stream.)

23 comments:

  1. I've watched a few episodes.
    Reacher is in season two right now and that's what I'm watching.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm up to date on Reacher. That's a good show.

      Delete
  2. Enjoy your winter break. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have not seen Doom Patrol. My first thought when I saw the blog title was "Is that the show with the dogs who are, like, firefighters and cops and whatever?" (sorry, Paw Patrol...)

    We just watched Resident Alien and Poker Face. Those were fun. Oh, and Jury Duty was an interesting show.

    Hope you're enjoying your winter break. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked Doom Patrol, but I kind of gave up on season four of it. I think I watched maybe the first half of the season and then stopped. I think I liked Jack the best (he was my favorite character). The actor who voiced Jack in real life sure is handsome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I liked Doom Patrol, and my husband teared up at the end of the series with the Cliff plotline. I feel the series ended well.

    Since it sounds like you've got Max, Peacekeeper wasn't as absolutely horrible as I expected it to be. It's ridiculous and stupid in parts, much like Doom Patrol, but overall, it managed to exceed my super low expectations for it.

    Miracle Workers is also in the same vein, though season 2 wasn't as good as 1 or 3 in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *covers ears* No spoilers! I'm only about three episodes into season 4.

      I couldn't do Miracle Workers. I tried. I thought, interesting premise and good cast. Alas, I just couldn't.

      Delete
  6. I've never seen Doom Patrol, but you've made it sound interesting. Happy New Year, and good luck in the Sub World in 2024! https://substack.com/@cleemckenzie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't tend to watch a lot of TV series. I never have time to go the distance with them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Weird to see Cyborg with the Doom Patrol instead of Beast Boy.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting. It looks fun. :) Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. No, I've never heard of it. I don't have cable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some shows that make the platform worth it. I wouldn't consider this one of those.

      Delete
  11. thecontemplativecat here. Doom Patrol, my husband would so love this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. As you know, I don't have streaming services other than Prime (and I rarely watch anything on it). I've just started getting into Only Murders in the Building, which just debuted its first season on network TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some great shows on Prime (look out for Reacher).

      Delete
  13. I've not heard of this site but I'm sure my kids have. I'm watching BRITBOX and ACORN at the moment and a few documentaries on prime. I watch some YouTube too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of these days I'll look into Acorn. I hear it has some things that I would enjoy.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.