Thursday, January 11, 2024

Remember Me?

The Tuesday of finals week (the week before winter break), I caught an art class. I had covered Ms. G's class back in September (one of the first I covered after finishing the long-term freshman English class), so I had a pretty fair idea of what I was in for.

Third period. Their final consisted of them completing a slide show on Google Slides on the seven elements of art

The class was largely freshmen. While most of them got right to work on what they needed to do, I had some of the usual issues.

I approached the back far table to remind the three boys they should be working on their final.

"You hated our fifth period, didn't you?"

Jensen had been in that fifth period freshman English class that I started the school year in. But in that moment, that's not where my mind was. Monday I had just finished up the long term special ed social studies class, and I hadn't even been back on this campus since the beginning of November. 

I vaguely recalled the English class. But it would have taken me a minute to cast my mind back to that time. I didn't want to take that minute. I replied.

"I have covered so many classes since then. I don't remember."

Because holding onto the emotions from classes isn't worth the effort. I keep things fresh in my memory for a week until I post the interesting bits here, but then many of the events get lost when I get busy doing something else the next day. It's fun to go searching through my past posts sometimes. I'll read something and barely recall the incident (until I read it, and then sometimes I recall it vividly). 

As I watched the class, I did cast my mind back to September. Jensen was consistently late, sometimes as much as a half hour. And as he played around rather than doing his final, I noted that he hadn't grown up any in the past three months.

Apparently it was a point of pride with Jensen that his class was awful? 

Ah, freshmen. They are such different creatures.

16 comments:

  1. You didn't give them the satisfaction of knowing you remembered how much you did hate that class! To forget about it burst their bubble.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's nice to not clearly recall the issues I had immediately when I see a kiddo. They get a second chance to make a first impression.

      Delete
  2. My grandson is a high school freshman and doesn't think school is cool anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the age. Freshmen aren't quite high school mentality yet. (I treat them as middle schoolers. This helps.) Something happens sophomore year that turns them from middle school mentality to high school mentality. Check with your grandson next year. You might see a change.

      Delete
  3. Did they make the blog? That's the real question.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Plus, Jensen thinking you remembered all about your interaction with him from several months ago. He's going to get a surprise when he gets older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *snort* Yeah, they really do think the world revolves around them. Some will get a rude awakening.

      Delete
  5. Weird point of pride, but then guys...well we all know they don't mature as quickly as most girls. It could be a long year for him. English and Art, guess he's at least consistent in his not being involved appropriately with his schooling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, I would not be surprised if he was failing half his classes.

      Delete
  6. Your response was not only honest, but perfect. I agree with these comments and your responses. ~shakes head~ You can only do so much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wasn't in the mood to remember. It does take some effort sometimes.

      Delete
  7. I have had many clients who were upset that I didn't remember them. This kid thinks he's the bees knees

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, he's sure he's all that. Sadly, he may be famous for the wrong reasons.

      Delete
  8. Do you ever train novice substitute teachers, Liz? If I had met you once upon a time, I might have kept at the subbing gig.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.