Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Found Me

Our first day back after the winter break was Wednesday. (The teachers had a professional development day on Tuesday. Monday was just another day off.) I was unsure as to whether or not I would work until something popped up on Monday.

As I was on my way to the classroom from the office, I stopped in the teacher's mail room. I figured since it was the first day of the semester, I should probably check Mr. F's box just in case there were rosters or something in there. Turned out that the students' new schedules were there, schedules that I was going to have to pass out.

But also while I was there, another teacher was in the mail room. Ms. L turned to me and asked, "You wouldn't be Mr. F's sub, would you?" 

It turned out that she had his lesson plans. She would have eventually knocked on his door, but this way she didn't have to make the extra trip.

Mr. F has an instructional aide. (He teaches a couple periods of English language development.) I worked with Ms. R in that summer school class I taught two summers ago. (I also started Mr. F's class before he was hired, but that was a bit longer ago.) Since then, I've attended a couple of Ms. R's off campus gatherings. (Long story.) She had wanted to run into me to let me know about another similar group. 

It's funny how findable I was last week. I've got one more story.

On Thursday, I was on my way to check in for the day when a teacher stopped me. "You're subbing for me tomorrow, right?" Indeed, I was. Ms. S needed to touch base with me to make sure I knew how set up her video-showing equipment. (More on that on Friday.)

I've been around long enough that many of the teachers (and staff, and administrators) know who I am. They can find me if they need to.

9 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It turns out that people remember me. It's weird.

      Delete
  2. Yes, it's such a nice feeling when people know who you are, especially if you aren't in a particular building all the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess I've been around long enough now. It happens to us all eventually.

      Delete
  3. That's good LIz - must make all the difference for you and for them ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. theconntemplativecat here. You must have a solid reputation and are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How many years have you been subing for?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.