Tuesday, January 16, 2024

Their Big Secret

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

Lately I've been watching a bunch of reruns on TV. One of the shows is In Plain Sight which is about a U.S. Marshal and her witnesses in the witness protection program. And one episode I saw last week got me thinking...

What if you learned that someone close to you was in the witness protection program? (It was a bigger deal on the show as a 16-year-old girl found out her mother was in the program and had been since before she was born. I can't specify anything that specific, but the closer to you the better.)

9 comments:

  1. I have never heard of the show. I think it would be complete strange.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wouldn't let anyone know, including that person. What went on is none of my business, and the less I know the better for everyone. It wouldn't be a relative, so it wouldn't be someone really close to me, other than a friendship, I would think. So, if I had small children to think about, I'd probably cut off contact. Just in case they are found out and the "bad guys" come after them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow. I learned about just such a case not long ago where children were confused by constant moves. It makes for good fiction and tragic reality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would like to know what that person witnessed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have no idea about the program. I'm not sure about what witness protection means either. But if I know someone close to me was working against me in any way I'll feel shattered initially. I overcome, however.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If someone confided in me like that, it would be someone really close to me. What if it was my spouse (after marrying), for example? It would be distressing knowing people might be after someone I loved but I would also be angry about being possibly being put in danger without my consent. If it was a parent, it might depend on how old I was when the confession was made.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It would be shocking since I don't think I have anyone that close to me that would be in that situation. I wouldn't turn against them though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. If I found out someone was in witness protection, I'd probably start looking over my own shoulder, wondering who was after them and why and if I were close to them, I'd probably feel like watching their place at night, to be sure they were safe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'd keep their secret and help as much as I can.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.