Tuesday, January 9, 2024

Not Quite the Conspiracy

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

What if that conspiracy theory was constructed just to distract us from a very mundane but very angering truth? I'm not specifying any particular conspiracy theory, only that it's not all of them. 

8 comments:

  1. If the truth makes us angry then I am thinking the conspiracy theory would have to be a good one.....now, what if that was the truth, how would we ever know that we were being distracted?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we humans are wired, somehow, for conspiracy theories. Why have the truth, mundane or not, if a conspiracy theory is more interesting and somehow more believable? I don't think anyone has to purposely make up a conspiracy theory to hide a mundane but angering truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Alana has something in conspiracy theories beings interesting. Many now are just plain crazy though. I'd rather be angry over a truth.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good question! I've seen a couple of people wonder things like that. I don't know every conspiracy theory int eh world but you'd imagine with their being so many, that there at least some made up to distract from what is really happening. But that in itself is a conspiracy theory is it not?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am thinking of the disappearance of our Malaysian MH370 plane. What if the whole mystery is a way to keep us from questioning deeper, murkier issues? Maybe the confusion around its disappearance is a deliberate move to distract us from what really went down – the kind of stuff some people might not want us to figure out. It's like a magic trick, making us focus on the plane while the real secrets stay hidden.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.