Wednesday, January 24, 2024

A Bad Idea


Wednesday, ERW English 12, period two. As expected, my biggest issue was staying awake.

(ERW English is an option for juniors and seniors. It's a class that focuses on reading and writing skills needed for success in college. It's a bit more intensive, hence it's an option and not a requirement. During the year, many students complain of the work. But, the students who have graduated and returned to visit report that having taken the class had helped them so much in their college coursework that the trouble was worth it. So, the class is gaining in popularity.) 

They had been left a list of assignments to complete, and while I noted a few on their cell phones, that was mostly towards the end of the period, and I had seen pretty much everyone doing the work. While not silent, the room remained fairly quiet the whole time.

With second period over, they left. Fourth period began arriving during the passing period. While in transition Ms. L, one of the assistant principals, popped into the room.

Ms. L said she was "checking on the subs", which was odd as they never do that. (There were a lot of English teachers out for a school thing, so there were more subs than usual on campus.) Then she got down to the reason for popping in. 

Had any of the students been on the phone?

Well, of course they'd been texting...

Oh no. The school had gotten notification from the sheriff's department that some calls had been made to 9-1-1, and there was laughter in the background.

Considering how quiet the classroom had been, I was fairly certain the students hadn't made any voice calls, let alone been calling 9-1-1. 

Again, it was worse than that. The students had been making calls from the classroom landline.

To which I could confidently reply that it did not happen on my watch. Because no student had gone anywhere near the phone, let alone been using it. I didn't even use the phone during class.

Ms. L was not surprised. As soon as she saw me, she dismissed the idea that it had happened in my room. (I have a decent reputation.) But she was asking everyone.

Which begs the question. Well, several, actually. Who wasn't watching their class closely enough for that to happen? Why would any students think this was something to do? What should they have been doing? 

I mean, I've been in the room when kiddos make prank calls. (Well, one call. I shut that down real fast.) But 9-1-1? Seriously?

15 comments:

  1. “Swatting” is a thing. When my kids were in high school there were a couple of fake bomb threats.

    If they find out who did it, that kid is in for a world of hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've been around for a fake bomb threat. And the kiddos do strange things all the time. I guess not even 9-1-1 is safe.

      Delete
  2. Makes me nostalgic for my high school classes. Except that I could have used a ERW English class.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great class. I wish I could have taken it before I went to college.

      Delete
  3. You have to be seriously not paying attention for a student to call 911 on the freaking classroom landline. Someone's in a heap of trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm quite shocked, and disappointed, that a 9-1-1 call, even with laughter didn't bring out the police in force, being made from a school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually wouldn't know if it did. The school is surrounded by fencing, so the police would have to enter through the main office. They would have been stopped there when the admin knew there was nothing wrong. (911 calls have a certain protocol, and part of that is alerting admin to the situation.)

      Delete
  5. thecontemplativecat here. Your good rep precedes you. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just been around long enough that everyone seems to know me.

      Delete
    2. Don't qualify that with 'just' because your reputation is that good. ~nods~ It's sad that pranks are so extreme. My friends and I got in trouble with local police for throwing toilet paper rolls over a fellow student's trees! Be well and stay safe, my dear.

      - Darla Sands

      Delete
    3. They don't normally do things like this.

      Delete
  6. Very naughty students, you have, it looks like. My students too seldom take writing exercises seriously. Here they're compulsory, no options. But we're lucky these guys here aren't too mischievous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My class for the day was fine. They totally did the assignments.

      Delete
  7. Yes, I'm not surprised because some kids just like to disrupt. The brats

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand they do the prank thing, but 911? Really? I guess they don't really *get* it.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.