Monday, January 22, 2024

Time to Start Over

Before I got the yarn for the blue afghan, I had about a week with nothing to work on. I've had this idea for a while now to do another dragon swatch, so I started it. Then I got the blanket yarn, and I started the afghan. But I was about halfway done with the dragon. 

The dragon is an extra spicy knit, and while I knew where I was in the pattern, I wanted to finish it before I put all my focus into the afghan. A week ago, I spent about two days really focusing on the dragon.

And then I took a good look at what I had knit.

The first obvious mistake was something I could fix, kind of. I knew just what to do, but it was something I would do after I finished. The second obvious mistake I thought I could ladder back to and fix. Only, when I did that I made it worse.

And that's when I knew. The piece was a goner.

The best way to fix it is to rip it out and start over. Deep sigh.

I could point out the errors, but I'm not in the mood to go to the trouble. They're obvious in person. More importantly, they'll bug me if I don't fix them. 

But, I'll do that once the afghan is finished. Now that I'm not trying to finish this piece, I don't have anything else to distract me from finishing the afghan.

And I just wanted to make a note of the dragon before I ripped it out and started over. For me.

I hope everyone has a great week.

22 comments:

  1. I’m sure it’s frustrating when you have to start all over again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm resigned to it now. It took a bit to get to acceptance, though.

      Delete
  2. I've had pieces where I've gotten a good bit into them and had to rip them apart. It's never fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose if it was a bigger piece I'd be more upset.

      Delete
  3. Ripping out and starting over is never fun. It's too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's too bad you have to start over. Keep in mind that those of us who aren't experts may not see all the errors.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no. I hate when that happens. Mistakes are so easy to make and so complicated to fix.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, no! I'm sorry, you were so far along! Yeah, we couldn't tell, but I know how it would bug you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had taken pics of the errors close up and pics of it done right, you'd see it. It's obvious. But I wasn't in the mood to spend that much time on this blog post.

      Delete
  7. Sorry you have to rip it up and start again.. it is a great color.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no....a goner. I hate that. So sorry and with that pattern it looks like that would be the only way around it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when I ended up making it worse when I tried to fix it, I knew it was a goner.

      Delete
  9. I like the color. So sorry you had to start again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. That looks beautiful from here. :) Be well!

      - Darla Sands

      Delete
    2. Oh, the mistakes are pretty blatant. In person you couldn't miss them.

      Delete
  10. Here's to a re-do! Have a good week, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  11. All the best with it all I can say. But your spirit of resilience is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not the first time I've had to rip out a project due to errors I made. And it won't be the last.

      Delete
  12. Oh no....that sucks. To me, it looks good but I have no clue about knitting. As long as you are not too discouraged

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a more obvious mistake than I usually make. But this is the kind of knit where ripping it out is the best fix. It'll be fine...

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.