Friday, January 26, 2024

Locked Out

Thursday. I was having a morning. I had gotten out of my house late, and by the time I got to school, I was feeling rushed. 

The good news was, I had covered Ms. L's co-teacher on Tuesday, so I had had a chance to talk to Ms. L and I knew what the lesson for the day was. I had volunteered that I knew how to work the classroom TV, so I had the copy of the slideshow for the day. Which meant (the bad news) that I needed a bit more time this morning to get set up (because while I know what to do in theory, without having set everything up on this TV, I couldn't be sure everything would work smoothly). 

I got to school later than I would have liked. The classroom was at the far end of campus, upstairs. But, I know the layout of the school, so I didn't get lost. I took out the key, twisted it in the lock, and the door would not open.

Deep sigh.

I know a few tricks. I can fiddle with the doorknob. Sometimes the key needs a little extra push. Perhaps I turned it the wrong way. Nope, nothing worked. It would just not twist that little extra bit to disengage the lock.

I didn't have time for this.

(Yes, it was the correct key. It clearly worked in the lock.)

Out of ideas, I decided I'd try to call security and see if they could brute force me into the room. I went to the classroom next door (Ms. K who I subbed for earlier this school year) as it was open and asked if I could use her phone.

Ms. K: "Are you subbing next door? There's a trick to the lock..."

Ms. K led me back to the door and demonstrated how to get the door open. It involved shoving her shoulder into the door while turning the key. 

Well, that's a new one.

(Ms. K's door has the same issue. They've put in a work order to get it fixed. They're still waiting.)

Now that I knew the trick, I was able to get back in the room later. (I don't leave the door open or unlocked when I leave to use the restroom.) 

That extra bit of time to get in the room did not help with me setting up the slideshow for the day. (Seventh grade English class. They were learning about writing an argumentative essay.) Because, of course that didn't go as smoothly as I would have liked.

But the day went fine, once things got going.

(It was an advanced seventh grade class, so keeping them busy writing notes was just the trick to keep the class mellow.) 

18 comments:

  1. Yeah, I’m sure there’s a work order…that lock sounds like “fun”

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems like it takes forever to get things fixed. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. Because heaven forbid the keys just work in the locks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, man. It's a shame classroom doors must be locked these days. Be well!

    - Darla Sands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since all classroom doors are open to the outside, it wouldn't be safe to leave them unlocked. I doubt my high school teachers left their rooms unlocked when they left for the day.

      Delete
  4. Oh boy. Maybe a locksmith course online, or lock pick lesson on youtube would do you well at times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That wouldn't have helped. The key worked fine. It was the lock that's broken.

      Delete
  5. Well, that is frustrating and I've been there. I'm glad the other teacher was there to help unlock that door.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Now I know one more way to negotiate a difficult door 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will keep that trick on standby. I'm sure it'll come up again eventually.

      Delete
  7. Bad timing to have the door lock problem when you're in a hurry. Glad the teacher next door shared the secret to getting the door open with you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now you have still another trick to try out one day. Experience is a great teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure this will come up again. Eventually.

      Delete
  9. thecontemplativecat here. When I was subbing, I was in a 2nd gr. classroom, for a week. On the 4th day, the key wouldn't work. the janitor said I had been using the wrong key all week. Hmmm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That... That is troubling. I have questions. Not for you, though. For the school.

      Delete
  10. O, yes, stubborn locks can be a challenge, and frustrating too at times. Interesting to see that there was a new way to get around the problem!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Liz - I guess tricks of the maintenance trade are a necessity for a teacher or subbing one - anyway - glad it essentially worked out for the class. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.