Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Not a Secret

What if? It's the basis of many stories. We ask. We ponder. We wonder. 

On Tuesdays I throw one out there. What if? It may be speculative. It may stem from something I see. It may be something I pull from the news. 

Make of it what you will. If a for instance is not specified, interpret that instance as you wish. And if the idea turns into a story, I'd appreciate a thank you in the acknowledgements 😉

What if the thing you thought was a big secret was known to everyone? (That is, you thought it was a secret, but it turns out that it's not. You've not been saying anything, and then you find out that people knew this all along.)

6 comments:

  1. I'd probably be peeved if I'd been told to keep it secret. If everyone knew I'd wonder if they were keeping it from me, not letting me in on the fact everyone knew. I'm not sure how to explain that! I'd be peeved...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This actually happened in my husband's family. His mother told her children a family secret, swore us to secrecy, and then it turned out that her mother (husband's grandmother) had done the same thing years ago...eventually, years later, we found out "everyone else" knew, between his mother and grandmother telling. Some secret.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I am pretty open which is why many people either like or dislike (my inlaws) me. I can't think of a single secret I have that I would be afraid of getting out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It wouldn't surprise me.
    Alana's story is the perfect example of how secrets can't stay secrets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s Birgit…I’m not surprised this would happen. I feel like this happened in my family but there’s been so much crap that I’ve lost count.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I guess I shouldn't be surprise if that happens but I'd be disappointed that someone I thought I could trust didn't keep my secret.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.