Thursday, January 18, 2024

Performance Review

Thursday. Tenth grade world history. Sixth period.

The students had an assignment in Google Classroom. Pretty standard stuff. They had some reading to do followed by questions. I told them this, and then I told them to get started. I went through the seating chart taking roll.

Nadine was not in her assigned seat. I asked her to move. And then I asked her again. And again. Nicely, I thought. I said, "Please." I said, "Thank you." It was after the fourth of fifth request that she did, in fact, move back to her seat.

She complained. She wasn't sure what to do. I hadn't explained it "well enough". (This was directed at a friend, not me.) I wasn't sure what more she needed explained. I told Nadine that my lesson plans said pretty much what I had already told them. If she had any difficulty figuring out something, I would, of course, assist her in that.

Nadine didn't want my help. She and the rest of the class got to work.

It was one of those boring days. The students worked quietly. I strolled to the back of the classroom to see what they had on their computers. Most of them had the assignment. Most of them were doing it.

They packed up at the end of class. The bell rang. They left. 

Nadine approached me.

She started out nice enough. But quickly she got into the reason for wanting to talk to me. She said that I did not do my job. She said that I did not behave appropriately. And she said she would get her mother to come down to the school to complain if I wanted to take this further.

Um... okay...?

I'm not sure what more she wanted, really. But whatever. I didn't feel like arguing with her. She left (with her two friends who laughed at her audacity while my talking to happened). And then it was lunchtime.

Of course, I get the last laugh. I noted this conversation in my note to her teacher. And now I'm making fun of her on my blog. 

15 comments:

  1. Testing, testing … child testing her limits and boundaries …

    ReplyDelete
  2. Then she went home and told her mother just how terrible the sub was, and that's why she failed the review! I hope her mother isn't "one of those" parents.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing she sees her mom do that a lot in stores.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if her parents every came to school, because of her complaints.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm guessing that mother was "one of those Moms" and came to the school. Hope I'm wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. I doubt she's coming down for a one-day sub, though.

      Delete
  6. It's challenging to be a teacher with Nadines around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not sure how you take that disrespect from teens.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I long ago gave up thinking of "respect" when it comes to work. It's kind of meaningless, anyway. All I want is for them to do the assignment they have been assigned.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.