Thursday, December 21, 2023

Final Grades

A couple weeks ago, Mr. B left a message for his students in the Google Classroom. The last day to turn in late work was the Friday before finals week. And so, every day I reminded them of this deadline.

Then Ms. P (the instructional aide) called out sick, which meant I was doing the grading. I told the students this was good for them as I tend to grade easy, and I wasn't sure how many points to deduct for late work (so I wasn't going to deduct any).  

(I didn't expect them to take advantage of this. So, when I wasn't getting loads of late work being turned in, I wasn't surprised.)

It was the last week before finals. And I reminded them that any late work they turned in was only going to benefit them. They turned in their last assignment for the semester, and still many had empty spots where points for assignments should be. I pointed out that any late work was only going to boost their grades.

Still, nothing.

And then I really looked at their grades. A few of them had dropped from a C to an F. 

The problem: I hadn't given the C students progress reports. 

There is a rule. A teacher cannot fail a student at the semester if they did not send out a progress report with the note "in danger of failing". 

I did the progress reports. I sent progress reports out for every D and F student. The students who had Cs, however, I figured would still have Cs at the semester.

But, sub. I don't know why, but students slack off with long term subs. There is a grade dip. I just didn't think the grades would dip that much.

There were five students who now had Fs who had not gotten progress reports. Sigh.

Two of them were just missing the last assignment due to being absent. They turned in the assignment, and their grades popped back up. 

Two of them were up to date on assignments, but those assignments had not been completed thoroughly. I gently suggested to one that if she completed some questions that she hadn't done, she could pull up her grade. 

She did a sloppy job, earned eight points, but that was enough to take her to just above 60%. A D. Whew.

Another boy turned in a missing packet, and that was enough to bounce him into D territory. Whew. 

There's still one, though. I will have to tell Mr. B I messed up and didn't give him a progress report. I imagine he'll end up getting a D at the semester as well.

I did what I could. But I can't do the work for them. And next time (and there will be a next time), I may just have to give progress reports to students with Cs. Because, seriously. They do let things slide when there's a sub. 

17 comments:

  1. So true - you can't do the work for them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I talked to Mr. B. He's had similar issues with those same students. At least he's around for the last week to light a fire under them.

      Delete
  2. I would think they'd be able to keep track of their own grades well enough to know they were failing, even without a progress report. Does your school (or schools) only give progress reports to the students doing poorly? Long ago everyone got one. Now I would think they'd be automated in the system.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They (students and parents) can see the student's current grade online at any time. They just have to have log in credentials for the parent portal. (And if they don't have them, the school is quite willing to help them get it all set up.) So many are unwilling to take that step, though...

      Depending on the school, some require progress reports for everyone, some for just those that are in danger of failing. I saw Mr. B had only input a progress report before for those in danger of failing, so I followed that lead.

      Delete
  3. I wouldn't have expected them to let things slide that much either. They must have done absolutely nothing to drop two letter grades.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is sad hearing these kids failing. My parents would never of let me get away with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. On Monday, Mr. B was back, and the first thing he did was to go after all the failing students and browbeat them into finding some of their missing assignments. I think most of those Fs are going to disappear.

      Delete
  5. You can't do it for them for sure; but what a shame after all the chances they had. Maybe they felt certain, as a sub you wouldn't fail them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. They knew their teacher would be back before the end of the semester, and they knew he'd fail them. He'll work with them so they don't fail, but he'll fail them if they don't complete the work.

      Delete
  6. Kind of sad, but many kids just don't seem to care about their grades. So hard to get them motivated. Mr. B shouldn't have to browbeat them into turning in missing assignments.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's weird that they slack off so much when there's a substitute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whether a sub is there for a day or a month, they let things slide when their teacher is out.

      Delete
  8. Having taught for 31 years and retired only 3 years ago, I totally get this. I think you are more than fair, and I understand some kids just don't even care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, the life of a teacher. I have high respect for you. I hope your students improve too. I'm sure that's what you wish for every one of them. Hope you have a relaxing holiday break!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wouldn't have expected such a slide from C, either. Wow. Nice recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who'd've predicted that they would just stop turning work in?

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.