Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Denied

It was the Monday after Thanksgiving break, and I had just arrived at school. One of the nice things about being on a long-term assignment is that I was able to check out keys. So, rather than having to head to the front office, I could let myself in the gate from the parking lot and head directly to the classroom. 

It was about a half hour before the beginning of the school day. I wasn't quite ready for people yet. I had walked a few steps past the school gym when Onyx fell into step beside me.

It took me a minute to get back into teacher mode. Onyx began a story about some party she'd gone to that she didn't want to be at because she wanted to go to bed. It was "too late" at 11 PM or something. And then there was other drama having to do with another party over the break.

Onyx followed me up to the classroom door.

I didn't want Onyx in the room to stay. She wasn't in the first class of the day. (I had conference period immediately, so I wasn't going to have students for a bit.) But I didn't want to be rude.

I opened the classroom door, and Onyx walked in ahead of me. She went to the teacher's fridge, and she pulled out a can of soda.

Onyx had brought the soda in before the break during her class period. She had headed out "to the restroom" and returned with the soda. I don't know where she got it. But I do remember that she hadn't retrieved it before I closed the room before the break.

Once Onyx had her soda, she left.

Ah. That's okay, then.

I did have Onyx in the next class. She told me that soon after opening her soda, she managed to spill it all over. (I believe she was outside.) 

Bummer.

16 comments:

  1. I'm impressed Onyx thought 11pm was late for partying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really wanted that soda! I mean, if I knew I left a Red Bull somewhere, I'd probably sneak in to get it too. Sad about the spilling. I would've cried.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's not really sneaking when she walks in with me. I've kind of tacitly given her permission to use the fridge for her sodas. It seems like she had that permission from Mr. B anyway.

      Delete
  3. She'd been waiting for that soda for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Lisa. Onyx seems to have some good common sense about partying.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She seems like a nice girl. Glad she got her soda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She plays around a little too much in class, but overall she's pretty good.

      Delete
  6. She sounds like she’s comfortable around you and trusts you enough to share dome personal stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess being around me all November helped.

      Delete
  7. So Onyx makes another appearance. I have a feeling she will show up again. She seems nice - and maybe looking for a mother figure?

    ReplyDelete
  8. At least all she really wanted was her drink.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.