Friday, December 15, 2023

Not So Sneaky

Tuesday. US history. It was the end of eighth period, and as per normal, the kiddos had lined up at the door, waiting. (I do try to discourage this behavior, but they ignore me.)

At the front of the line were Percy and Gerardo. I've been having issues with the both of them. They both have F's in the class, and instead of doing any work, they get sucked into their phones or their computers. (Percy and I had a long debate about this. He doesn't care that he has an F and is looking forward to summer school.)

We had a few minutes left of class. Percy and Gerardo stepped onto the outside ramp. And once I could no longer see them, I went to check. 

Percy was still standing there. I shooed him back inside.

But Gerardo was halfway to the front entrance, too far for me to call back.

*grumble, grumble*

I do not appreciate students leaving class early. And I wasn't having it.

On Thursday, when Gerardo got to class, I informed him we needed to have a conversation. He had his earbuds in, so I'm not sure if he really didn't hear me or if he pretended not to. But I followed up. And I explained the situation.

Gerardo did not have a reason for leaving early. I rather think that he didn't think. He didn't know why he left early (at least that's what he told me), but I believe that it was a matter of no impulse control. He saw the opportunity and took it.

Well, Gerardo needed a consequence for this. (Everyone saw that he left early, so I didn't want to tempt them into thinking that they could get away with it, too.) So, I told him that he owed me three minutes after school. (When I noted the time when he left, it was about three minutes early.) 

He didn't argue with me about it. He didn't complain. And at the end of the period, he remained in his seat while everyone else left. 

Well, okay then. 

I kept note of the time and released Gerardo after his three minutes. 

I was expecting more push back. I'm quite happy that I didn't get it, though. 

I'll have to see if they attempt such things again. I'll be keeping a closer eye on them, too.

23 comments:

  1. Here in my school students are not allowed to bring mobile phone or laptop to school. So some problems are prevented. Mobile phones do affect students adversely, even though they use it at home only. Dangerously in some cases.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I wish we could ban phones. At one point, the schools did, but the parents made a stink about it. Some parents want to be able to reach their kiddos at any time, and they have made phone bans impossible.

      Delete
  2. Someone accepting the consequence for their actions. What a shocking occurence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cellphones make it more difficult in the classroom, don’t they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. I have a student right now scrolling on his phone. He has an F in the class. I've given them the period to make up work. He has his work out... We'll see what use he makes of his time.

      Delete
  4. The more things change, etc. No cell phones in my day, and they were just coming into everyday use when my son was in high school, but it seems kiddos always find a way to get into trouble at school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. And phones can be useful. Alas, they can also be distracting.

      Delete
  5. My imagination ran away again and I can't help wondering if this young man lives in a troubled home. ~sigh~ Be well, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. As this is a special ed class, the teacher likely knows.

      Delete
    2. It's the only reason I can believe he'd look forward to summer school. :( Hopefully I'm wrong.

      Delete
    3. Actually, that makes a lot of sense. I hope it's not the case, but it just might be.

      Delete
  6. Come summer he'll regret looking forward to summer school!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The kids who get in line to get an early jump on dismissal become the adults who immediately get up from their seats when the plane stops at the jetway,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup. They're also the ones who walk halfway into the crosswalk when the green arrow is lit.

      Delete
    2. I call those folks "Entitled Drones Who Lack Situational Awareness."

      Delete
  8. They sure seem in a hurry to leave, to line up to get out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know how anyone teaches kids these days with them being allowed to do whatever they want. Get up and get in line before the class has been dismissed. I'm dating myself now for sure, but in my day; you didn't automatically leave class when the bell sounded. You stayed in your seat until you had been dismissed by the teacher. At that point you could put away your books and notebooks etc and prepare to leave. And staying after class would have been a full detention of 45 minutes...which is what our class periods were back in the day; and all detentions were a full class period and often more than one detention was given. You must be very patient. Merry Christmas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some classes they are very good at making sure they don't pack up until the teacher gives them leave to do so. And if it was my class, I would be working on that from the beginning of the year. But, as a long term sub, I have to work with the routines they've already established. Some teachers permit this sort of thing.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.