Thursday, November 10, 2022

About Time

Eighth period graphic arts. They were doing what students usually do with a sub: as little as possible. But it was nearly the end of the period, the end of the day. 

This school has the new clocks. They're nifty. They're digital. They show the day of the week as well as the date. And, of course, the time. They're all synced, so at the exact minute that's the end of the period, the bell rings. 

Alas, the time on the clocks is not the same as the time on their phones...

"My phone shows it's time to leave." 

Me: "But we're on school time. School time is the time on the clock." 

And then I got into a discussion on time.

"What is the 'right' time, anyway? How do we define what the exact minute is? There was a time when each individual town had its own time. It was only with the coming of the railroads that any sort of shared time was established. Before that..."

I darted to the door.

A boy decided it was close enough to time to leave, so he left. 

Yeah, not on my watch.

I got to the door before he got too far. I called him back. We argued. He said it was time according to his phone. It was close enough to the end of the day. I informed him that the bell designated the end of the period, and it hadn't rung yet.

Reluctantly, he returned to class. And I stood over him, making sure he didn't leave. 

(At least I got him back. The next day I had a student that absolutely refused to return to class, but that's a whole 'nother story.)

Finally, the bell rang, on the exact minute it was supposed to, at least according to the clock.

The group I had started talking about standardized time to weren't actually interested, but I finished my thought anyway. As they were walking out of class. 

I mean, I have to do my job, but I do like to spout random facts when the opportunity arises. 

13 comments:

  1. Kids like to push the envelope don’t they?

    ReplyDelete
  2. He can take up with the principal about syncing the clocks with his phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I fired up my work computer Monday morning, the time on my computer (which is controlled by my employer, and which matches the time on the electronic timeclock I clock in and out on) didn't match the time on my wall clock, so I was a minute late to work...guess I should have complained! (What don't you go through with these students?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You just adjust, right? I don't know why they don't get that.

      Delete
  4. I was wondering when time became a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Liz - talk about causing a few headaches - I do hope they learn as time (that time of life) goes on ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't know towns had their own time, but now that I think about it, how would a standard be set back a ways.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, there was a time when every town had its own time. I mean, these are not things we tend to consider because for us it's always been this way (standardized time).

      Delete
  7. Well, I would have been interested, even in my youth. ~grin~ History can be fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it's a conversation for the right day, and some of them would have been fascinated. But not this group on this day.

      Delete
  8. Old Guy Observation Inbound:
    While digital clocks are cool, will we reach a point when people won't be able to tell what time it is when all they have to work with are analog clocks.
    Mind you, I still write checks and go to the post office.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to say that's already come to pass. I have kiddos who ask me the time. I point to the analog clock. They inform me they can't read it. I believe I have one or two posts on this phenomenon already.

      But I know for a fact they still teach reading clocks in elementary school. They just choose not to make the effort. (Oh, and cursive. They "can't read" cursive.)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.