Wednesday, November 23, 2022

Midnight at the Pera Palace

As it is a holiday week, I am pushing my subbing stories from last week to next week, and this week I am on my "summer schedule", which means today I recommend a TV show that I stumbled across that you probably haven't heard of.

It was September, and I was out of things to watch. I headed over to Netflix, and this title popped up. I skimmed the description. It sounded interesting. But it was Turkish, and I wanted something I could knit/crochet to. (I listen more than I watch.) 

Upon further examination, I saw that it was dubbed into English. Good enough. It was worth trying out...

And I was hooked. I think I watched all eight episodes in about three days. (For me, that's quick.)

The story is about a reporter in Istanbul who is given the job of writing a story on a local hotel, the Pera Palace. The hotel manager gives her a tour, and he also gives her a room for the night when the research takes her all day. Then somehow she manages to slip through time and ends up in the past. 1919, to be exact. 

So, obviously, she screws something up that she then needs to set right before she can go back to our present time. As I am not at all familiar with Turkish history, the event she screws up was unknown to me.

The trailer doesn't give much away, but you do get a feel for it: 

I highly recommend this show. (We need enough viewers so we get a second season. Season one, alas, does end on a cliffhanger.) Has anyone seen it? I really need someone who has seen it so I have someone to talk about it with. 

11 comments:

  1. I haven't even heard of it. It sounds interesting, but I'll have to see if I have the time to watch something with subtitles to pay attention to, as I have a hard and fast rule about not watching dubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, not me, sorry. I rarely watch Netflix.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are some good things there if you have the time.

      Delete
  3. That's the type of show I love to watch, I'll take it on to add a viewer, but I hate it ended on a cliffhanger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm 90% certain they'll have a second season. Why end on a cliffhanger if there's not a second season in the works? But there is that 10%...

      Delete
  4. I've not seen it, but it does sound intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We don't have a Netflix prescription with so much available via our Roku device. But I hope the series returns for all its fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, there are all sorts of great free programming, too.

      Delete
  6. Ooh, this does sound like fun to watch. I hope they have it on disk.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alas, we don't have Netflix at the moment...but we are planning on getting it for a month over the summer holidays (so probably in a week or two). I'll try and remember because I'd watch it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.