Thursday, December 14, 2023

Misfiled

Wednesday. Third period. Government.

Of all the classes, third period is the one I'm concerned about the least. While a couple of them have had their grades drop (due to missing the last assignment), there are no F's in the class. And I anticipate each one of them passing the class at the semester.

It was a weird day with Ms. P, the instructional aide, out sick. They came in a little bit more wound up than usual. (We had our weather warm up, so the bright, sunny day might have been part of it.) And Sabrina asked if she could not work that day.

Uh...

The assignments need to be completed at some point. And I don't want to encourage slacking off when semester grades are so close. 

But, Sabrina's grade was fine. Wasn't it? I went to check the gradebook, just to make sure.

Sabrina was missing an assignment. It wasn't one of the big packets that are worth major points. It was one of the "quizzes". 

Mr. B gives them the book's quizzes at the end of each section, but he counts them like an ordinary assignment. Because they aren't weighted as a test, they don't hurt their grades too badly. (Most don't do very well on them, and that's even with the quizzes being open book. This is one of the differences in a special ed class.) 

So, instead of telling Sabrina she could take the period off, I told her she should complete the missing quiz. 

All the assignments are filed in a filing cabinet, clearly marked. I went and found the folder for quiz 2.1 and gave it to her. 

A while later, she returned it. When I went to grade it, I discovered that it said 2.2 on it. I double checked the gradebook. I had a grade for quiz 2.2. 

What had I done?

Upon further examination, I found that the folder for quiz 2.1 contained the quizzes for 2.2. And the person who had been putting things away was me...

(Although, now that I'm writing this, I do recall Ms. P had filed something in the government drawer, so I might not be to blame...)

While I was pulling the quiz, I should have double checked the page. So, my mistake. 

But, it was the wrong quiz. I apologized to Sabrina, but she would have to do the correct quiz. (There were 10 questions. True/false. Multiple choice.) While she did, I graded 2.2. If she got an extra point... She did not. She missed one more than before. I did not change her score.

Sabrina finished. 8 out of 10. I added her score to the gradebook.

And that bumped up her grade from a C to a B.

Sabrina then proceeded to work on the day's assignments. So, I guess getting her to work on something got the momentum going. 

(And now I'll be extra careful when giving them makeup work.)

18 comments:

  1. They often don't quite understand a "little" thing like a short quiz can change a grade like that. "Just" a quiz, it's no big deal is what we even said a long time ago!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, points matter. I've been stressing this to them for a week. (Tomorrow is the deadline for all work for the semester.)

      Delete
  2. Oh man. Yes, definitely blame someone else.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't sweat it...mistakes can happen and you don't seem to make them often. She did well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I make them often enough, which is too much, really.

      Delete
  4. Things like that happen to all of us. I'm sure she's pleased with the higher grade.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It turned out well in the end. A better grade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's weird how once people get started on something we tend to get going. You'd think it would be easier to get going than to keep going, but it never seems to be.

    That's great that she went up a letter grade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's momentum. Or inertia. Well, the two are related.

      Delete
  7. Your job entails so many details; I think you do a great job. And it's not like many of your students can help catch such issues, so be gentle on yourself. Be well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case, maybe they should. But I missed it, so I'm not surprised she did as well.

      Delete
  8. Things happen. I’m glad that the student didn’t make a big stink about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. She stayed busy during class, and got the right quiz in the end, and bettered her grade. So all is well?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.