Friday, December 8, 2023

The Quiet

Last week was kind of a quiet week at school. As I predicted, the fairly well-behaved classes don't give me very many interesting stories to blog about. My major issues have to do with students not turning in work (and earning F's). 

One day Jasper came to my desk to ask for a restroom pass. Although, "ask" is too strong a word. He pointed outside and kind of motioned.

And that's when I realized, had I actually heard Jasper talk? 

Yeah, I had. But quietly. He whispers. Barely talks.

But suddenly, he's not talking at all.

The students have book work. They read the chapters. They write outlines. They answer key idea questions. (It's the way Mr. B has the class set up.) Occasionally I'll read with them. 

The room tends to remain pretty quiet.

And Jasper has gotten quieter. It's not like he was loud before. But now...

I was tempted to make him ask me in words what he wanted. I think I did. But then I realized, if he doesn't want to talk, why should he? 

We're getting into the end of the year. It's getting darker earlier. I think we're all tired.

Maybe it's time to let some of us go quiet. Just for a bit.

22 comments:

  1. Sounds good to me. Ah, quiet to think in. A lot more kindness, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to respect his silence, whatever the motivation might be.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope he isn't suffering in his silence. It's something I need sometimes, though, and stay quiet myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's spoken since I wrote this, so I think all is well. He just has periods where he's not speaking much at all.

      Delete
    2. Oh, good. I appreciate the update. Take care!

      Delete
  4. I think your instincts are good not to press the issue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Days are shorter. It complete dark by 4PM

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, some kids are by nature quiet. That's okay, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You might make a huge difference in his life if you get him to talk a bit. I'm saying this from experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I'm going to be around long enough to make any sort of difference.

      Delete
  8. All this darkness pairs really well with quiet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. "if he doesn't want to talk, why should he?"

    It's probably not that Jasper doesn't want to talk, but that he is afraid to talk and that the problem will only get worse unless he gets help. I have a  soft voice and was painfully shy as a child. Until I was around 13, I stuttered and couldn't (and still can't, comfortably anyway) pronounce the letter L, which was made worse by the fact that my name is Lowell. So, I wish to god that I had had someone gently encourage me to speak-- aside from having me say the word please repeatedly because they got a laugh out of hearing me say peas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He talks fine when he does talk. I wrote this last week. This past week, he wasn't silent. I guess I just caught him on a bad day.

      Delete
  10. Sometimes people just don't feel like talking. I'm glad you respected that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think a lot of us have these sorts of 'leave me alone, I'm fine but I'm not talking' days!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.