Friday, December 1, 2023

Trapped

It was the last twenty or so minutes of first period on the Friday before Thanksgiving break. (I saved all my subbing stories for when school was back in session.) My class of six was working quietly. (We had spent the first half hour of class or so reading the current section in the textbook.)

An announcement was made to the whole school. "Teachers, lock your doors..."

Lovely. We were on lockdown.

I removed the blocker from the door as it was already closed. As no students were out using the restroom, it was just a matter of waiting. 

Because I am a sub, I don't get school-wide emails. I asked Ms. P (the instructional assistant who does get the emails) if something had come through. As she told me nothing had, a student informed us that she had learned (via her sister) that someone had hopped the fence onto campus. (The description was a male Hispanic not wearing a shirt.) 

We heard a helicopter overhead. From the classroom, I could see the front of the school. Deputy sheriffs arrived through the front gate. Ms. P got a photo from her daughter showing the outside of the school with police cars lining the curb. Another student got a message with the description of the incident posted somewhere. 

We waited. 

At about the point in class when the students usually clean up, a couple of them got up. 

"We're on lockdown. We're not going anywhere. Get comfortable."

They still put their stuff away, but the teacher had some games in his cabinet, so two girls got out an Uno deck. 

Then, at about two minutes before the bell would have rung, Alvin (who had clearly been not aware of anything) put on his backpack and headed for the door. I repeated my explanation that no one was going anywhere until the situation had been resolved. (Although I couched it as good news. I let them know that we were losing time in third period as they always give us the full break when something like this happens.)

Suddenly, Alvin was not happy. (He had been oblivious before. He also had had a restroom pass shortly before the lockdown was called.) He wanted to leave. Although, his complaints were mild, and they only lasted a short time.

The sound of the helicopter stopped. 

There was a knock on the classroom door. Because the room has windows, I saw a couple sheriff deputies outside. Before I could get to the door, security opened it from the outside. (That security person actually used to be a cop. He told me this on the day my car battery was stolen.) 

They were checking the room for anyone who wasn't supposed to be there. As no one had come in or out, I gave the all clear.

A couple minutes later, the principal made an announcement over the PA system.

A passing motorist had seen someone hopping the fence and called authorities. The individual was a student. A female student wearing a tan shirt. 

(Oh, you should have heard the howls during the following snack break. They were not pleased.)

The end of the period was called. They got a snack break (which is the usual after first period) and then they were on to third period (we have a block schedule). 

Students hopping the fence is a problem, but I am unclear as to why a student would hop the fence to get onto campus. (They usually are leaving.) Sure, they have to go through the office, but it's not like we don't know they're late anyway.

Ah well. We had to have some drama on the Friday before the break. It isn't a proper day before the break otherwise.

18 comments:

  1. I’m glad it was only student drama and that it wasn’t a really dangerous situation, but I’m sure it must have been scary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't concerned. I know, that sounds weird, but I didn't feel in danger at all.

      Delete
  2. Lovely that we live in a country where we need lockdowns in schools.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is bizarre. I'm glad all is well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Every lockdown occurs for a bizarre reason. That's why they call the lockdown.

      Delete
  4. I have a feeling you would have known if it was a scary situation. At least you only would have had six students to protect and I'm sure you've been well trained in what to do. But still. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am glad that there wasn't anything untoward.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Even the lockdown tests are stressful, so a real one... you did great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liz - I'm glad all turned out well in the end ... despite the usual hassles you'd have expected in that kind of situation. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those lockdowns have to be hard on everyone. I am not sure I could handle them, I would prob freak.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There've been enough of them that turned out to be some random guy doing something off campus and we locked down "in an abundance of caution" that I figure it's nothing to worry about.

      Delete
  9. We live in such different worlds and yet equally difficult times. In my school where the gate is always open this sort of a problem wouldn't occur. But we have umpteen other problems.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They constructed fencing around the schools in the '90s. Safety concerns, I guess. Before that, our schools were wide open.

      Delete
  10. Glad the lockdown wasn't for anything serious.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for that driver calling it in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was good that someone was paying attention.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.