Friday, June 10, 2022

This Year by the Numbers

Last Thursday was the last day of school. And if you've been following the blog for a while, you know it's now time for the post where I take a tally of all the days that I worked. This year was a doozy.

There are 180 days in the school year. I worked... 177 of them. 177

Let us just pause to contemplate that number. I basically blew my last record of 164 out of the water (2019).  And I doubt that this is a record that will ever get beaten. Of course, I hit that record due to the crazy year we had. I'm sure you read about the substitute teacher shortage. Yeah. That meant job security for me. 

Of the three days I did not work, I actually didn't get called for two days in October (the 12th and 13th to be specific). And the third day was the day I took off so I could go to the dentist when I cracked a tooth.

That total does not include the 18 days I worked at the alternative education center in July or the 4 days I covered at the continuation high school before the official beginning of the school year. (The continuation high school begins about three and a half weeks before the rest of the district.) 

41 of those days were at the high schools, 10 were at the middle schools, 7 were in elementary schools, and 2 were at the continuation high school. 117 of them were spent at the adult transition center, which is unsurprising considering that I did two long term assignments there.

I only had 1 day with a teacher who had no conference period, and I did only 12 extra period assignments. Again, this is unsurprising as I did so few high school days (relatively speaking). (For comparison's sake, in 2019 I had 97 extra periods. That is, on 97 of the days I worked, I covered a period on the teacher's prep period or the teacher didn't have a prep period.) 

I did work the first day of school (but it was at the continuation high school and it wasn't their first day of school, so it kind of doesn't count). And I worked the last day of school (see yesterday's post). 

To break things down a bit more...

Then at the secondary level: 

  • Social studies: 24 days and 1 extra period
    • Economics: 19 days and 1 extra period. This was part of the long term assignment I did in September. She also taught...
    • Geography: 11 days and 1 extra period. The only reason there's a different number here is because that school is on a block schedule. All of her geography classes were on the same day, whereas her economics classes were on both days.
    • World history: 3 days
    • Then 1 day each for 8th grade US history and 11th grade US history
  • English: 15 days and 2 extra periods
    • 9th grade: 13 days and 1 extra period. Most of those days are from the vacant English class I began the year in
    • 8th grade: 7 days. This was part of that vacant English class. (There was one period of 8th grade, the rest of the classes were 9th grade.)
    • 11th grade: 4 days and 1 extra period
    • Then there was 1 day and 1 extra period of 12th grade and 1 extra period of ELD, which is the class students take when they are learning English (immigrants, usually). 
  • Science: 5 days and 4 extra periods
    • Biology: 2 days and 2 extra periods
    • 7th grade science: 2 days
    • Then I covered 2 extra periods of 8th grade science, 1 day and 1 extra period of chemistry, and 1 day of anatomy/physiology.
  • Math: 4 days and 1 extra period
    • Integrated math 2 (which used to be geometry): 3 days (although, I wasn't really needed)
    • Integrated math 3 (which used to be algebra 2): 2 days
    • Then I had 1 day of 8th grade math and 1 day and 1 extra period of 7th grade math
  • Miscellany:

Normally I'd include the special ed stats above, but because of my two main long term assignments this year, my special ed days completely skew the stats. 

I spent 120 days (and 3 extra periods) in special ed classes. 5 of those (with 1 extra period) were in special day classes. 117 of those (with 2 extra periods) were in the severe special ed classes.

The long terms are considered special ed in the severe special ed classes. I spent 45 days in Ms. S's class in November, December, and January. I spent 60 days in Ms. L's class in March, April, and May (with a couple days in February and June). Although, both teachers had retired by the time I took over the classes.

10 of those days were when I covered Ms. L's class in October. One of those days was for a different teacher at the adult transition center. And so the remaining day was at the high school that feeds the adult transition center.

Yup, I kept pretty busy this year. But I generally do.

Previous years' stats:

11 comments:

  1. Wow. I wonder what next year will be like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you were really busy. But like you said, security and lets not forget pay....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz - you were certainly well occupied with different subjects - thanks for the summary - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a year! Take a break. You probably won't though. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope. Stupid me said yes to summer school. Sigh.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations on another successful year of teaching, Liz!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear there a teacher shortage...so I'm guessing 2022 and 2023 will be busy.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.