Wednesday, August 25, 2021

Grumble Grumble

In last Friday's post I wrote: 

Things should settle in a week or two. The first couple weeks are always a bit like this. At least I haven't been stuck with a vacant class yet. I kind of want to avoid that this year if I can.

 I spoke too loudly...

When I had a gig for the first day of school, I figured I was safe. Then I deliberately accepted an assignment on the second day of school for a class that had a teacher attached. And when I called that Friday for an assignment this past Monday, I took the class that was technically vacant, but they had hired a teacher who was due to start on Tuesday. 

I was safe. I thought... 

On Monday as I checked out, I was informed that the teacher they hired was for a different English class. Not the one I was covering. The class I was due to cover for just Monday and Tuesday was vacant, and was going to be vacant for a bit. 

(They were supposedly conducting interviews that day. As of this writing, they have not hired someone.)

I mean... Really? Crap! 

Now, I could have just walked away. I could have. Perhaps I should. But, it's like I ended up there for a reason. Maybe? 

So, fine. I called the sub caller to say that I would remain in the vacant English class until they hire someone (or until my 30 days are up). 

Just when I thought I was out, I got pulled back in.

via GIPHY

16 comments:

  1. Yep. You totally jinxed yourself there. And at the risk of making things worse (knock on wood that I won't...), I hope they hire someone soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, crap like that always happens like that. But that is a great way of looking at it, you being there for a reason.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I mean, it's easier than it has been in the past. And the rumor is now that someone has been hired, and we're just waiting on paperwork. Fingers crossed.

      Delete
  3. Oh my! Do you sometimes feel as if you're in the grip of a malevolent octopus?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a well organized place! XD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the curse of school district has your life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, so close! But you did really well with your students last year, so I bet you'll do the same. I'm hoping you can use the same materials from last year? Save on the prep time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Vacant class= creative time. Is that correct. Or wishfully thinking.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Vacant class? So you just sit there looking at empty chairs? Ughh, I hope you brought your knitting needles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vacant, as in they haven't hired a teacher for the position, so the class is full of kiddos and no lesson plans. Not boring. Stressful.

      Delete
  9. Crochet time? Finish the octopus hat? But seriously, maybe there is a reason. Let's hope it works out for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, no crochet time. Scramble time. Must figure out what to teach, and then spend the period teaching. Then the grading. And figuring out what's coming. It's a lot.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.