Thursday, August 5, 2021

The Comeback

Second period English. Tenth grade (although the boys in the class are officially in twelfth grade). It's summer session, so they're making up credits they're missing. 

It was day seventeen of the eighteen-day summer session. We had been reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy and doing assignments that went along with the reading. I had been doing a daily edit activity where I give them two sentences with errors that we'd correct together. And they had a daily writing assignment (three to five sentences on a topic I provided). 

They had work. They had largely ignored it.

So, on day seventeen I gave them a peek at their grades. I had done this a couple times before, but it wasn't making an impact. But on this day, their forty-ish percents finally made an impression on them. On day seventeen, both Vincent and Brandon got to work. 

They were missing several of their daily journal topics. They completed them. Various online assignments got done. And I barely kept up with the grading as one after another after another assignment was turned in.

By the end of the period, Vincent was in C territory, and Brandon had just gotten into the Ds. Brandon even did some work that evening, and by Friday he had pulled his grade up to a C. 

I'll take it. (I did tell them at the beginning that I accepted all late work.) I had been worried that I would be giving out only Fs, and I did not want to do that.

16 comments:

  1. I'm impressed they got motivated at all. It's not like you haven't been trying hard enough.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's good you got them motivated to put the work in to get a passing grade :)

    Hope you are having a good week :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad they were motivated by something.

      Delete
  3. Nothing like the last minute! But at least they finally did the work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I did say they could turn in late work, so they abided by the rules.

      Delete
  4. My teacher daughter has told of her personal Vincent and Brandon. Any work is good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Why wait and hope to pull it up at the last min? Why not do it all along the way?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, yes, you're correct. Ideally they'd do the work when assigned. But better late than never.

      Delete
  6. They made it.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good for them for finally getting it! Imagine if they had been doing it all along...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right? I tried to get them to work daily, but alas...

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.