Friday, August 6, 2021

Rollin'

Yorik has been consistently late, especially for the last week. This is notable as while the school starts at 8:30 AM, we'll wait a few minutes to make sure everyone arrives. We've been starting at 8:40, 8:45, 8:50. So, Yorik has been later than that. 

On Tuesday he was clearly altered. 

Yorik was giggly and distracted. He would ask me a question and then talk over me when I attempted to answer. He'd put his head on his desk. He'd go from one thought to the next, and trying to keep him on task was a losing proposition. 

Yorik was high.

Although, Mr. T wasn't so sure. He said he'd seen Yorik like this in the past. And when his mother was called, she said that he had had a waffle for breakfast. (Yorik is diabetic.) 

Then, on Friday, Yorik showed up to school in a similar state. 

As his grade was in the 20% range, I decided to do some of Yorik's assignments with him. 

Have you ever attempted to get a high person to focus on schoolwork? It was not fun. It was a constant battle to refocus him along with his humming and talking over me while I tried to guide him to answers.

(And trying to get him to keep his mask on... High and masks do not mix.)

Oh, and he knew where the key could be found, so he kept trying to get me to open that so he could see it. When I ignored him, he pressed harder. Even when I told him I wasn't going to do it, he persisted. 

We did not get very much work done. Unsurprisingly. 

11 comments:

  1. I hope the kid gets some help for whatever he's self-medicating for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope. Never tried to get a high person to focus. Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully things improve for him soon! :(

    Hope you are having a good weekend :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully. At least everyone is aware of the problem.

      Delete
  4. Getting a high person to focus on anything is a challenge...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Teens are hard to get focused PERIOD, but a high one would drive me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've worked on various things with teens. They can focus. Sometimes.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.