Friday, August 27, 2021

Missing the Obvious

Thursday afternoon. I was in the process of setting my seating charts for my Friday classes. 

I had let them sit where they wanted to as I was getting up to speed on what was going on with the classes. But, at a certain point, I want to assign seats. While some kiddos can sit next to their friends and concentrate on class when I need them to, mostly, they don't. Especially at that age. 

Because beginning of the school year, students have been added and dropped from all the classes, so as I was finalizing the chart, I wanted to make sure that no student who I was adding to the chart had been dropped. I opened up the attendance software just to make sure my printed list and the current list were the same. 

And that's when I saw the 8. 

Up until that moment, I thought I had all ninth grade classes. But no. I had one eighth grade class. 

And... 

I mean, suddenly the class made sense. I couldn't figure out why the kiddos were so much... more... than the other groups. 

I had to think back. I had been doing the same stuff with them as with the ninth graders. As it was first week stuff (getting to know them stuff), it wasn't too big of a blunder. But still. 

You'd think they'd have noticed or something. Apparently not. Or, they just didn't want to tell me. 

At least I hadn't passed out books or started them on any of the actual curriculum yet. I caught my error in time.

14 comments:

  1. I like that, the "so much... more..."! So, the school has 8th grade in with the high school grades? Or, middle and high combined? It's been a long time since I knew how grades were arranged!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Middle and high school combined. (I don't mention this much as if you know the area, that pretty much tells you what district I work for, and I strive for a bit of anonymity when it comes to names and such.)

      Delete
  2. Always to start a school year, with all its stuff. Good luck, lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be nice if they would have their stuff together at the beginning, but not always. (Although, the teacher for this class decided to take a leave late, so the school was probably scrambling, too.)

      Delete
  3. It's good you realised before you started the grade specific curriculum with them! :) Easy mistake to make with having a lot of classes I think!

    Hope you have a good weekend ahead of you! Fun one here, a birthday party to go to each day!

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm surprised you hadn't actually been told what classes you had. Knowing the age group they probably didn't even notice if you were doing standard first week of school stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All ends well, as you found your mistake before it would have mattered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not 100% sure of that. I may have called them 9th graders at some point...

      Delete
  6. Prob busy laughing and thinking that you would never catch on to what you had done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder. Because, they would totally do that.

      Delete
  7. Glad you caught that little misstep in time. Those kids would have had an interesting few lessons, wouldn't they? Just proves we're all human, even teachers. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The next lesson was actually just a future-planning type of thing, so it would have worked for them just fine. But, I'm sure I would have said something about them being freshmen, and...

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.