Wednesday, August 18, 2021

Karaoke

On Wednesdays, the continuation high school has a thing called "advisory". Back in the day, it was when the "advisors" (read: the teachers) would pass out an itemized list of what credits the students had and what credits they needed. 

The "status reports" do still get passed out, but only about once a month. (If the students are curious as to how many credits they have on any given day, most of the staff can pull that up for them.) 

So, nowadays, the weekly advisory "period" (of about 20 minutes) gets filled with other sorts of activities. This past week, it was an ASB activity. (ASB is the student government.) They were playing Around the World for prizes (tickets to a local miniature golf course). 

While those that participated (a small percentage of the student body) played, a couple students in ASB manned the sound system. They had music playing. 

At the beginning, I wasn't too shocked at the choice of song. Nor was I that surprised that one of the students pulled out a microphone and began singing along. Then their friend joined, and the two of them duetted. As the rest of the students were either playing the game or ignoring the proceedings, it wasn't like they were really performing for anyone.

Then the song changed...

And I was rather surprised by their choices. Choices that they continued to sing along with. 


While they were singing, the ASB advisor came over and tried to get a picture of them. That's when they got bashful. (The advisor did get his picture, though.) 

16 comments:

  1. I don't have the knowledge of teen likes and dislikes that you and other teachers have. But at least with my son (who is in his 30s now) it seemed his generation had a wide spectrum of musical likes - everything from rap to Elvis. May I say, that school's students have good taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's surprising how deep of a knowledge some have of music: rock, pop, and of the different eras.

      Delete
  2. Fun? In school? What insanity is this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I stopped listening after the Beatles. Our late-middle-aged daughters talk intelligently about various bands and singers on FB and I am so ignorant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm pretty ignorant, too. But these songs I recognized.

      Delete
  4. Sounds like they were all having a good time. Wow....Fleetwood Mac and the Stones.....groups from my past!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have thought the '60s and '70s would be like ancient history to them.

      Delete
  5. I like both bands.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like fun! I think with everything being online now people have a much wider exposure to all different kinds of music :)

    Hope your week is going well :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's easier for them to listen to a wide range of music.

      Delete
  7. Well, there is hope after all! Hahahaa. I love their choices

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yeah. I cherry pick my stories to be "interesting". Not all of the kiddos are problems.

      Delete
  8. Karaoke here is very different. Everyone does it, very loudly, from their living rooms. And houses are very close together, so we can't *not* hear it when it happens.

    I've never seen it in a school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We generally discourage them from singing in class (unless the class is choir), but this was a fun activity day.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.