Thursday, March 5, 2020

What Day Is It?


"Advisory on a Monday!?! This is stupid. Why are we having advisory on a Monday...?"

Wednesday. The continuation high school. I was covering an English class, but this boy was outside during the passing period before advisory, talking loudly enough for everyone to hear.

Every Wednesday this school has a twenty minute "advisory" period. It's a time for announcements, passing out transcripts (so the students know how many credits they've earned), and general counseling things (every month they get to adjust their schedules).

Every Wednesday after first period, I make the same announcement: "Remember, go to your advisory class, not second period." Every week they forget.

So, I was amused at the boy's loud complaints. His first period teacher had said the same thing I did. But clearly he didn't know what day of the week it was.

I saw a girl quietly talk to the boy as he entered his advisory classroom. Apparently she informed him it was Wednesday, because his complaining stopped.

What I want to know is: Had he been absent all week? Because, while I may mistake Wednesday for Thursday or Wednesday for Tuesday (frequently), I know when it's the first day of the school week.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I so lose track of the week, too. But not Monday.

      Delete
  2. If he didn't know it was Wednesday, he probably didn't know that yesterday wasn't Sunday and a day off from school.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think maybe he was absent all week. Absence gives you a Sunday kind of feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too feel the same. He must have been absent till Tuesday. So, he mistook Wednesday for Monday.

      Delete
  4. Maybe wanting not to go to advisory?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  5. Let's hope the advisor can find out what's going on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh... Absenteeism is the best reason I can imagine.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.