Friday, March 6, 2020

Graduation Day


It was kind of a strange week at the continuation high school. I had been scheduled to cover one day, on Friday, with the rest of the week at other schools in the district. Due to illnesses, I got switched to cover different classes at the continuation high school all week. It's not a bad thing, just odd.

It was Monday in the computer aided drafting class, and the kiddos were doing the usual--avoiding doing work. So, I gave a variation of my usual speech: they can make progress with a sub in the room.

Instead of the usual ignore, I got support from an unlikely source.

I've had Jordan in various classes. He's usually one of the non workers. But this day he was raring to go, and he actually said to the other students that they should get some work done, too.

Alas, he needed to work on a cutting tool that was forbidden with a sub (safety issue).

I offered to allow the students to work on other classes' assignments so their time wouldn't be wasted. Jordan took me up on the offer.

On Tuesday, I was back. (The teacher must have caught the cold that's going around.) Jordan was disappointed. On Monday, he had managed to finish up his social studies credits. And by "finish up", I mean he had completed all the credits he needed for graduation in social studies.

Jordan needed two more credits to graduate. And those needed to be in the C.A.D. class, which he would earn by completing the assignment on the cutting tool that was forbidden...

As we talked it out, Jordan realized he could design what he was going to cut on a computer, which should have saved him time when his teacher returned, so at least the day wasn't a complete waste.

I saw Jordan again on Thursday. He was checking out of school. It's the last hoop they have to jump through--they have all the teachers sign the check out form. He was officially done.

A short time later, they made his graduation announcement. Every time a student finishes all their credits (officially graduates), an adult at the school announces it over the P.A. They play "Pomp and Circumstance" as the adult chosen by the student (usually a teacher, but sometimes it's the principal or one of the school's support staff) says nice things about the student, and they usually say something about the student's future plans.

So, Jordan did finish those last two credits. There's something about being that close to done that really motivates them.

13 comments:

  1. Good for him. Finally being done with school is a great motivator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whereas if he had been motivated through the year he would not have had to go into crunch time!!! haha....so funny. But glad he made it through. Whats the amount of credits does a senior need these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think February is really crunch time :) If he had been motivated sooner, perhaps he wouldn't have needed the continuation high school, though.

      Delete
    2. Your thought was mine, Liz. :) At least he got there. Good for him.

      Delete
  3. WTG to Jordan! I like how they do the graduation ceremony, though hearing Pomp and Circumstance always moves me to tears.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yahoo.... a big Hi Fi to Jordan :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiring to me..
    Well done Jordan....

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just now reading this. Any word... did that missing teacher "catch a cold" or had Covid19 reached you?

    Of course, without testing, no one may ever know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was before we were worried about it. The absent teacher returned, and he was OK (from what I've heard COVID-19 takes way longer to get over).

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.