Monday, March 2, 2020

The Muddle in the Middle

This is my 2800th post.

First comes the idea (or in this case, the request). I ponder. Knit or crochet? Do I find a pattern or do I wing it? What yarn do I use? So many choices...

Then, once I've figured out a pattern and/or a plan, I acquire the yarn (if I haven't decided to use stash yarn). And then it's time to swatch. Is the yarn going to work with the plan? Then, change the plan or change the yarn?

Sometimes I need to do some math...

Once the pattern/plan is set and the yarn is chosen, it's then time to cast on. And the beginning can be interesting as I might do an interesting cast on, or I might be working an unfamiliar pattern. Do I have to stop and rip out? Do I start over? Do I have mistakes to correct? Is the plan working, or do I need to modify things?

But once the bugs are worked out, and I get settled in, it's just a matter of doing the work until the piece is as big as it needs to be. This is the boring bit, the muddle in the middle. This is where I'm at with my current on the needles/hook projects.

(I like to keep multiple projects going so they're not all in the middle at the same time, but alas...)

These are the last two Christmas presents left. Niece requested a beanie (she sent me a picture) in periwinkle.


I already calculated wrong, ripped the whole thing out, and started over. And I did a different cast on, so the beginning was way interesting.

But now, it's just a very simple knit 1, purl 1, round and round and round, until I get to the point where I start decreasing to form the crown. The crown will be interesting. Now? Not so much.

I'm about halfway through the length of the hat. It's going well, which means there's not all that much to talk about.

My sister-in-law wanted a large scarf.


I already tried a different stitch pattern that was okay, but not as nice as this one. And I've had a few sessions where I had to sit with the written out stitch pattern and read through as I worked it. But now I've gotten the hang of it, so it's just an almost mindless project.


At the moment, it's two feet (61 cm) long. The request was for six feet (1.8 m). I've got a ways to go.

I doubt I'll write more about these projects until they're finished (or unless disaster strikes, which is not likely at this point). They're just chugging along. I'll muddle through and finish them. Eventually.

I think I need to start something new, just to have something to blog about.

19 comments:

  1. The boring repetitious part - I certainly understand.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wide is that scarf? When I first saw the picture (before I read anything about it) I thought you were making an afghan. Nice color combination!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on that number of posts. Love the colours ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it's lovely that your relatives receive hand-wrought gifts from you. Your niece's choice of periwinkle is perfect. -gorgeous color.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only if they want them. I have family (*cough* brother *cough*) who specifically request not to get knits/crochet.

      Delete
  5. I like your sister-in-law's scarf. Both the colors and the pattern.

    2800 posts... how many of them are knitting related? A fifth? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. And wow, good on you for all the entertaining posts. We appreciate it.

      Delete
  6. Congratulations on #2800. That's a lot of teaching and Tuesday questions and knitting and crocheting. Ah, that muddle in the middle. I sometimes enjoy that muddle, especially if I am a passenger on a long car trip. It makes the miles pass. Ah, the car. Which seems to be about the only place I crochet nowadays. Maybe one day I'll take it up again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's great when you need to pass the time. But when you just want to be done already...

      Delete
  7. The scarf is lovely. The colors are exactly what I would have chosen.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congrats on 2800 posts!!!! I don't think I'm even at 500 yet :)

    I like that periwinkle color! So pretty! Scarf is looking good so far :)

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nice pleasing colours. :-)
    Reminds me of my father who used to make boxes out of small cartons, and gift them to friends and relatives.
    Congrats on reaching the 2800 mark. Though I have been blogging consistently since 2001, it's less frequent.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the periwinkle and I think the scarf is coming along well and I like the multiple colours. I could never knit or crochet...too much figuring out and when you mentioned math that is the final nail for me. I could see you do a baby mobile all crocheted/knitted-you could make a mini jelly fish, a whale, dolphin etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that could be a thing. Math isn't crucial. There are many knitters/crocheters who find a pattern and just follow it. The math is for those who design things on the fly like me.

      Delete
  11. Cheers to #2800 post, Liz! I like the scarf's colors. Your sister-in-law will be hearing compliments galore when she wears it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.