Monday, January 27, 2020

Crochet Stitch Comparison

At the moment, I have several projects going. The beanie from last week now fits a human-sized head. Eldest nephew's beanie's ears are in progress.

And I've started my sister-in-law's scarf.

I'm using thick yarn, so it should go quickly. But, I wasn't liking the pattern stitch...


There's nothing wrong, really. But it feels... I don't know. Off, somehow.

I don't like the drape, but that might be okay after it gets bigger. Maybe.

Then, the other day, while perusing Instagram, I was reminded of the star stitch. (It had been used on a beanie.)

I have tried to incorporate star stitch on three different projects over the last several months, but each time I've had to frog and use something different.

Why? Reasons. I tried it on a moebius scarf, but the color pooling was bad. I tried it on a scarf for me, but the yarn is so fine, it wasn't worth the effort.

Could it work for this project? Finally?

Well, take a look...


I started this on Friday, and I'm really kind of loving it. I left the other pattern unfrogged, just in case (I had two skeins of the yarn), but at this point there's no question which pattern stitch I'll continue.

The waffle stitch (in the first picture) will have to wait for a different project.

22 comments:

  1. I do like this pattern and the colors you chose for the scarf! Hopefully we'll get to see the final project when it is completed?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. The second one's pattern does look better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, there really is no comparison.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh...I love the colors and the stitch. Nicely done.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, it does look way better in the star stitch. Looks like you found the yarn that it works well on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. The request was "peacock colors". The name of the colorway is something oceanic.

      Delete
  7. Totally love that yarn in the star pattern. I like waffle stitch, but I agree with you that it didn't seem to work with the colour pattern. But it aces it in the star stitch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The star pattern looks great with those colors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it looks beautiful. I haven't tried the star stitch yet but I do love the waffle stitch. Mainly on solid colors I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, next time waffle stitch with a plan background.

      Delete
  10. Excellent choice! It's lovely. And thanks for the new term. I didn't know 'frog' could be a verb. :) Happy Crafting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Knitters and crocheters have a sense of humor. What does a frog say? Rip it...

      Delete
  11. I do like the second stitch better than the first. The first one looks off kilter and hurts my eyes a little bit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought the colors looked nicer as the piece progressed... Ah well. It was off.

      Delete
  12. I definitely like the second one better. It just seems neater. I've never even heard of the star stitch. I'm currently working on granny squares using a double crochet. For some reason that one has been easier for me than some of the others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Granny squares are supposed to be easy. I've only done two projects with them. I guess they feel like more of a '70s aesthetic to me even though they've been used for decades in lots of things.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.