Wednesday, January 8, 2020

Unprepared


The week before winter break was also finals week. And due to a teacher taking advantage of the break to recover from surgery, I got to work it.

Eighth grade science. They had finals.

The finals were open book/open note. And most of the students had their papers all out and ready for use. Most of the students... 

"I need help."

Any other time, I'm all over that. But not for a test. Definitely not for a final.

She reached for her neighbor's notes...

"Where are your notes?" I asked.

"I forgot my backpack."

I shrugged. If she didn't come prepared...

"What does it matter? They're the same notes."

Perhaps. Or perhaps she didn't take notes and she was counting on using her neighbor's work to get through. It didn't matter. The teacher had been very specific. They could use any of their own materials, but they could not use someone else's.

She was not pleased. But I've seen when they want to "share" notes on a test. It might as well not be a test. It might as well be partner/group work.

It was a good lesson for her. In the future, perhaps she'll remember to bring her own materials (and notes!) for her finals.

20 comments:

  1. Loved it when tests allowed for notes. Tough spot to be in, but you made the right decision. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those who had notes tended not to use them much. That's usually the way.

      Delete
  2. Good for you - hold her accountable. Maybe she'll learn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Liz - well her teacher knew there might be one or two - so your instructions were well set out. I hope she'll learn. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hard lesson to learn, but hopefully she'll "get it'

    ReplyDelete
  5. We live in interesting times. Most people have no luxury to question "why" we do something because authority will come down on us, and we shall suffer consequences. But there are those in this country right now who have such incredible privilege that they can do whatever they want and there are no consequences. I can see why people, especially young people, can be confused.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. Young people think they are invincible and the rules don't apply to them. Many have to learn the hard way...

      Delete
  7. Liz,

    I hope this kid did learn a lesson. It's all about protecting oneself at all levels of life. Open book, open notes - WOW, now that's the way to take a test! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yeah, you can't go coasting by on other people's work. We know what that leads to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Having the notes always removes the stress. I never got a test like that until uni, but they seem to use it in High School here. I know my Barbarians much prefer those tests. Like you say, they don't seem to use them but are a lot more relaxed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. They're the same notes. I always love what kids try to get away with. I'm sure it was a good lesson for her—one she's not likely to forget any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yep; I agree. She's got to start taking accountability. I wonder how she did on the final.

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  12. Life, you need to be prepared for school which moves into adulthood and work....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's still in middle school. They haven't learned that lesson yet *eye roll*

      Delete
  13. I could come with something sort of like that for an excuse.

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's how we learn. They used to call these "natural consequences." I'm not sure what the new buzz words are these days, but you nailed it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My daughter came home from college and told me she was the only one who passed a Biology test. She got a B. The teacher partnered everyone up for a retest-open book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When no one does well on a test, one must wonder about how well the teacher taught the material.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.