Friday, January 24, 2020

The Long Walk


Monday I was called to cover a Spanish II class.

Class had barely begun when a girl asked to use the restroom. (This is not unusual.) But when another girl and then another boy asked, I noticed that the first girl had been gone a while. (It's a one at a time rule, so they couldn't go until the first girl got back.) This was weird as the restrooms were about three doors down from the classroom.

Finally the girl returned about twenty minutes later.

Whenever a student takes forever, I note it. Some students use it as an excuse to roam campus, and they can get into all sorts of mischief (vandalism, disturbing other classes, meeting up with friends, or meeting up with boyfriend/girlfriend to do things they shouldn't).

However, this time the girl immediately apologized for taking her time. She explained.

Apparently, there's been "an issue", and she was afraid she'd get "jumped" in the restroom, so for safety, she had gone to the health office to use the restroom there. The health office was on the complete other side of campus.

There have been a lot of fights on campus lately. I can't fault her for looking after her own safety.

Although, she could have asked for a health office pass. I never refuse those.

Ah well. At least I know where she'd gotten herself to.

20 comments:

  1. Sad they can't be safe in the bathrooms at school (or school itself). Did the other ones that had to use the bathroom to the health office too or use the restroom close to the classroom?

    betty

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sucks. I can't blame her for doing that. Kids can be so cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never got jumped in school, HOWEVER I was afraid I would for something I said about someone! Yep, mouth took over and common sense went out the door. haha....but I also found, act tough and you end up feeling safer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes you do have to talk tough to get through.

      Delete
  4. Good for her for looking after herself (I'm assuming you checked that's what she did?). But better for all involved if she'd asked for the right pass at the start.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Agreed, she did the right thing, but should have asked for the correct pass

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Liz - she seems sensible, and did the right thing ... life in your shoes is interesting! Enjoy the weekend ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  7. How sad she doesn't feel safe. I got bullied, but never once felt in physical danger. Yikes. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know if she was bullied or this issue is something ongoing with a particular group. I didn't ask for more details.

      Delete
  8. Sad, to have to feel afraid and concerned about your safety.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feared getting jumped after school for some months back in jr. high. You'd think I was a marathon sprinter based on how quickly I was able to leave campus once the bell rung.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's not a great story. Kids can be so cruel.

      Delete
  10. Wow, you work at an "interesting" school.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's generally not a dangerous place. There's something about teen years and fighting. I'm sure there are places where fights don't occur, but those are probably smaller schools.

      Delete
  11. I still there more good in world then not.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You always have interesting stories about your class.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I don't know how you teach in the year 2020 but I'm happy that you do and I don't know how people can continue to have children in this crazy world. I don't know that I would...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teens get into these beefs... I don't get it.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.