Thursday, March 19, 2020

La Même Chose


Last week I covered a biology class Tuesday through Thursday. On Tuesday, I was asked to cover a class clear across campus on the prep period.

It was quite a hike. It was almost the two farthest classrooms from each other. I mean, not quite, but one of the classrooms was half a quad away from the farthest front corner, and the other was five doors down from the farthest back corner.

So, I got to the complete other side of campus. I read the lesson plan. Then I got to tell the kiddos what to do. I glance at the video questions...

Gee, that looks familiar.

It turned out that I was covering another biology class, and they were doing the exact same thing as the class I was covering all day.

Well, not exactly the same. The class I was covering I was showing the video to them. This biology class they were each watching the video on their own on Chromebooks. But it was the same video. And they were the same questions.

I shouldn't have been surprised. Most of the departments on campus pretty much cover the same material. And at least I knew what video I should have seen on each student's computer. (And they were pretty good. Most of them watched the video.)

In case you're curious, it was on Darwin and Wallace, and you can see it here.

19 comments:

  1. That was easy, wasn’t it, except for the hike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Liz - well that's a plus corona ... I actually watched the film - interesting ... I'd quite like to know what the questions were!? Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. At least you got your exercise in!

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay I had to look up La Meme Chose because I never heard it before. That will be the thing I learned today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm amazed how spread out schools are now.

    If it had been Wallace and Gromit, I would've been very excited.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, that was nice that both classes were in sync. Had to have made your day a little easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It did. It was nice to know what they should be watching. Of course, they made it easy by being on the proper video.

      Delete
  7. I couldn't image entire class watch a movie on individual item

    ReplyDelete
  8. So how long until your school goes to online classes? ... or did I miss something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Never mind. Just found the last post. Stay safe!

      Delete
    2. Technically, my district hasn't been mandated to do any online learning, but that might change. The county went to "safer at home" until sometime in April, so the district won't open before then, at least.

      Delete
    3. I truly believe this pandemic may revolutionize education. I got my Masters online, through a very reputable university that had "gotten with the times" to offer an online option.
      When I lived in Indiana, I heard a lot about their online learning platform. It was mostly used for kids with other agendas - illness, or long-term goals related to things that didn't fit in the school day. I imagine they are promoting the heck out of that now!

      Delete
    4. While that's good for the future of education, it kinda puts me out of work...

      Delete
  9. That was a really interesting video. Never hear much about Wallace. I didn't realise he had independently formulated the theory of natural selection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had never heard of him either. But it was fascinating to learn that he came up with it, too. One of the questions they were to answer was who came up with the theory of evolution, and I think my answer would have been both.

      Delete
  10. The video must've had some good storytelling to keep the kids attention.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.