Friday, March 27, 2020

An Opposing View


The schools around here were closed last week, so this story is from the week before last, in the biology class.

This was the same day that I had to make that long hike across campus. The period before, second period, I showed that video to them about Darwin and Wallace.

Before I started the video, I passed out the video questions, and I read through them so they would know what to look out for as they watched the video.

From the back, I had a question. "What if you don't believe in the theory of evolution?"

Deep sigh.

I wish I could say that I made an impassioned plea to keep an open mind. I might have explained how scientific theories have to be rigorously tested before they gain general acceptance, and those studied in high school are pretty well recognized. I could have argued that it never hurts to study opposing viewpoints to make sure one's views are sound.

But from experience, I knew none of that would help in the moment.

I told Travis he had to do the assignment anyway.

19 comments:

  1. Science denial is the reason we’re all in the coronavirus mess.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe either (there's a reason why it's called the 'theory' of evolution) but I still would've done the assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully you have enought fun stories to tell for the next days of confinement ;))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, it probably isn't appropriate to call a student an idiot. That's the kind of thing you get in trouble for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a cousin who, in the course of her life, has become a Creationist. It's hard to have discussions with her, frankly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just don't... Why does Christianity have to be opposed to science? They can work together.

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Perhaps he thought he could get out of doing the work. Nope.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. He was a contrary character. He talked back to the morning announcements, too.

      Delete
  8. Yes. Unless we have an open mind and study contrasting views we will never make progress.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Liz - certainly the best way to handle it ... take care ... Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  10. That would have been my response too! I did my firstdegree in environmental science. In the first week, they gathered the 400 of us in a lecture hall and we had to fill out a form which was basically asking if we believed in creation or evolution, or a bit of both. Students who answered creation were met with and it was "suggested" they change degrees.

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's better to just not argue with them. They know it all anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  12. When I taught 8th grade English in the 60's, we had a box of graduated reading materials that were designed to improve the student's reading ability. A girl announced, "My dad says I don't have to read this stuff because it's Communist." This was my first year as a teacher--also my last--but anyway, I had NO idea how to respond. (The word "Communist" was a multiple-choice answer at the end of one of the essays. ) A sudden inspiration! I said, "Well, your dad is going to have to come in and read every one of these essays and pick out the ones he doesn't approve of." (There were about 300 essays all told.) She shut up and got to work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's brilliant. It's interesting what they'll latch onto to try to get out of doing work.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.