Wednesday, March 11, 2020

Ditching the Punishment


Last week I covered a freshman geography class Monday through Thursday.

Four days of ninth graders... I was not looking forward to it.

But, surprisingly, it went pretty well. They had plenty to do, and most of them did it.

Luckily for the blog, it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows.

Period five. I had been warned about them.

On Monday, Edgar had been an irritant. Constantly talking. Doing no work. Using any excuse to get out of his seat.

On Tuesday, I awoke with a migraine. My pills knocked out the worst of the pain, but my tolerance level was somewhere below my knees.

So, when Edgar traded seats with another kiddo, told a friend (loudly enough for us all to hear) that I looked like a pumpkin*, and held up the start of class going back to his proper seat, I was done with him. He could spend the period next door**.

You should have heard him beg. He just needed "one more chance"***. He'd be good, he promised. He needed to use the restroom first.

Even though I knew what was going to happen, I let him "go to the restroom first".

Sure enough, it took him the whole period to use the restroom.

Edgar returned to class just as we were packing up. (He had to return his restroom pass.) When questioned on how it took him the whole period to use the restroom, he said he needed the health office, and that's where he spent the period...

Actually, this was a win-win for me. I did not have to deal with Edgar all period. And he was doubly in trouble for ditching class. Yay?

*The pumpkin comment was fair. My shirt was bright orange. (No one is taking bright orange from me. Nope. Never.) It was the way he went about saying it that I objected to.

**The next door teacher was mean. And scary. And the class was full of seniors. So, it was the perfect place to send a freshman out to. 

*** Oh, I wish I had been filming him as he asked for that "one more chance" as he crept towards the door. It might have taken him half the period to get to it, and he was three feet away. I've seen people in major pain walk faster.

13 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Freshmen are immature. He'll likely grow out of it.

      Delete
  2. At least you didn't have to deal with him. Next time you have him, you'll be prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You see thats the thing about kiddos - they can do stuff and its "funny" but if an adult does the same thing, its regarded as bullying by the eyewitnesses who are, lets face it, the kiddos. So it gets deep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pumpkin? How rude. So is bright orange your favorite color?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Frank Sinatra's favourite colour was orange so you are in excellent company, if you like Frank:). One of my dear friends also loves orange so it all works. I am so glad you thumped him but good even though he thought he got away with things by taking off. He really doesn't get it just like the dog playing innocent but the garbage is strewn everywhere. He was rude so I can wait to see the little beggar get what he deserves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so surprised when they learn I write all of this stuff down.

      Delete
  6. Indeed a double win. It just amazed me they think they can get away with it.

    Betty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Liz,

    Orange is a good color but what do you expect from someone from Big Orange country as in, the University of Tennessee. Go Vols! :) I can't imagine being a teacher. I know we had our moments in school and I'm sure the teachers really hated the attitudes but I sure would want to be a teacher. I don't think I have the patience to deal with other people's kids all day. lol I hope your headache is better, though.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Are you allowed to film students while you are teaching and post them on a blog? That seems like it could create all kinds of legal issues, so I'm happy you didn't go that route. This blow by blow description (I think) does the event justice. As a side note...other people's kids are such terrors.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Me, I like all shades of orange. :-)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.