Wednesday, August 4, 2021

Fight the System

Wednesday. Fourth period. It was just Brandon and me. 

As Brandon had finished the book on Nat Turner and no new book was forthcoming, I decided the only way to get him to do his work was to do it with him.

Halfway through the period, Ronan stormed in. 

I mentioned Ronan a lot last school year. He's still on campus, but he doesn't need English credits (he's current on them). 

Ronan was in PE. The campus is small, so PE was right outside the door. But Ronan had a project going, and Brandon needed to do his part. 

If you recall from week one, the students weren't allowed to get their phones back for the walking field trip. The principal had them write paragraphs with reasons as to why they should be allowed to have them for weeks two and three. 

As they explained it to me, Ronan and Brandon had plotted about getting their phones for lunchtime. They were going to write paragraphs about why they should be allowed to have them, and every student on campus had to contribute. But Brandon hadn't written his.

I gave Brandon paper. Ronan found a pencil. And we stopped working on Brandon's assignment so Brandon could complete his paragraph. 

I could have fought this, but I chose not to. Might as well let them have their fun. 

Are they going to get their phones at lunch? I highly doubt it. It would be too much trouble to distribute them just to get them back a half hour later. 

But that they were being proactive and trying to fight the system was something I could get behind. And writing is definitely good practice.

Brandon only took about five minutes to write his paragraph, and then we got back to the assignment at hand. 

Ronan went to talk to the principal, but she was busy in meetings all day, so he didn't really get a chance to plead his case. (The principal had mentioned her wall-to-wall meeting day to us adults first thing in the morning, so I wasn't surprised that Ronan only could drop off the paragraphs for her.)

As of Friday, they had no answer, only a "she'll look into it". That'll be a discussion for when the official school year begins, I imagine.

20 comments:

  1. You are one patient, understanding teacher. I hope your schools appreciate you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I don't know about patient. I know what battles to pick, that's all.

      Delete
  2. I love that they were being proactive and fighting the system. Smart kids. I could get behind that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, they're usually so apathetic it's nice to see them care about something.

      Delete
  3. I'm glad you stopped the assignment so they could write their paragraphs. Good thing to get behind (the proactive/fight the system part, I mean.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have to have a lot of patience to be a teacher!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's finally something they're passionate about. You don't want to discourage that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you were patient and decided to let them have their fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Go kids! It's nice to see them working toward a goal and not just giving up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was nice they were trying for something.

      Delete
  8. You are patient and also realistic. Interesting how Brandon wrote his protest paragraph in just five minutes. And the two boys got a lesson of civics on the side. I wonder what the outcome will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They won't get their phones back. It would be too much trouble to pass them out and then get them back a half hour later. Plus, someone would definitely attempt to hide it and keep it in class... More trouble than it's worth.

      Delete
  9. I think it would be strange to have cell phone. Back in the day they had pay phones.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Writing is definitely good practice, better then spent time on phone.

    www.exclusivebeautydiary.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, if only they would spend more time writing.

      Delete
  11. If they actually wanted to write something that's good.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It was nice of you to let them do their writing. Great that they fight for a cause too!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.