Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Named

If I ever finish that subbing book (which at this point the draft is about ten years out of date), there will be a whole chapter on how to find a student's name when one needs it for the note to the teacher. And it'll boil down to some very simple advice.

Wait. Pay attention.

Tuesday. Middle school choir. Things had been going relatively well all day. The kiddos weren't nearly as wild as they could be. That is not to say they were wild. They were just more "lively" than they'd be in a more academic setting. 

And then it was fifth period. And boyo started off by informing me he was already done with the day's assignment (memorizing three pages of "Mambo Italiano" and recording it). 

I was dubious. The previous day's assignment (helpfully provided on the sub lesson plans from the prior day) was to have two different pages memorized. No middle schooler works ahead like that. 

Boyo then spent the whole period poking into things.

He started with a Tech Deck tourney with a couple other boys. He banged on the drums. He "accidentally" opened the back door. There was a brief game of keep away.

And at each instance, he moved on when I pointed out to his companions that there was work to finish. 

He was going to get a starring role in my note. But because no fixed seating, I did not have his name.

After pulling him out of something again, one of the girls spoke. 

"Archie, you're going to get in trouble." 

Archie! A ha!

Three other students called out to Archie, telling him to stop or something. 

At that point, I was recounting his antics in the infamous note.

Sure, I could have just asked him his name, or I could have asked another student for it. But experience has taught me that leads to a whole other issue. 

Other students suddenly have no idea of anyone's name. And the student in question gets very defensive of why you need his name. Then, can't he possibly earn his way off of the note? And then he'll pester me for the rest of class about getting me to erase his name. 

I try to avoid those issues when I can.

But more often than not, someone will just volunteer the name by talking to the student. Or calling him out. Same difference.

And this way, I don't have the whole begging and pleading (which is way more annoying than the behaviors that got him in the note in the first place). Because at the point where I'm writing it down, the student has had all the chances to make things right, and now he's suffering a consequence. 

20 comments:

  1. I often have to wait until someone says a name so I'll know how to address a person. I'm not good at remembering names, so it's often embarrassing, especially if I need to introduce someone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is why we need nametags in everyday life ;)

      Delete
  2. oh you have more patience then I have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not really. I just know if I go after them, it makes the situation worse.

      Delete
  3. Ah, to have a tiny spy camera to snap his photo and attach to your note.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think its easier to work with wild cats than grade school kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Definitely. But middle school kids are a whole different ballgame.

      Delete
  5. I have problems with names and faces and I'm not a teacher. I never would have made it as a teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is what seating charts are for. I don't remember so many students.

      Delete
  6. I'm a visual learner, so I always recognise faces, but not the name that goes with them. This can be a bit of a problem, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Or, they give you the name of someone not there! Or switch names with someone else. Or... so many "cute" ideas those middle schoolers come up with! I wonder if his teacher will address the issues you had or take the easy way out and forget about it? "Accidentally" opened the back door! That's my favorite Archie-thing! I am terrible with names.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, those are the other issues with names. Although, they're really bad at swapping names. I've had this happen a couple times (blogged about it each time), and it was pretty obvious the game they were playing.

      Considering how the class behaved, I would imagine that Archie had some consequences upon the teacher's return. If the teacher didn't have some control, I would have had bedlam all day.

      Delete
  8. Well done Liz - sensible way to find out the boyo's name. Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good you had the patience to wait and find out the name! :)

    Hope you are having a great week! :) Another wet and stormy one here!

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much patience as the knowledge that if I had tried to get the name in a different manner, I would have failed.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.