Thursday, February 17, 2022

The Shrine

AP World History. Wednesday. They had a timed essay assignment. 

On the AP (advanced placement) test, there is a multiple choice section and there are essay sections. The essay sections have time limits. 

Because of this, AP teachers frequently assign a timed essay on sub days. It's good practice for the students. 

Their teacher treats these like a test, so the kiddos were nervous. They arrived in test mode. 

"Will you let up set up our shrine?" 

Yet another question I never expected to hear while subbing. 

They explained that they have a shrine they set up for good luck on tests. 

I'm so not going to be the cause of their bad luck. Of course I allowed it. 

It consisted of a goldish metal bowl filled with origami cranes and a few one dollar bills. Next to the bowl was a picture. 

Not how it was set up (I couldn't very well interrupt to pull out my phone in the middle of class), but these are the picture and the bowl.

On the other side of the bowl, they propped up a textbook. In front of the book was a small bottle labeled "Holy Water". And in front of this setup were three battery-powered tea lights (only one was lit). 

Hanging from the air freshener above this was a Chinese-looking fish with a red tassel.

This is where this tassel usually lives.

This whole thing was placed in front of the class on the floor under the white board, nearly in the center of class. 

Because of the timed nature of the assignment, it took a few minutes before the essay appeared in their Google Classrooms. Nervous chatter filled the air. Then it popped up on one or two computers. Time to start. 

The room went from cacophony to silence in moments. They got to work. 

Did the shrine assist in their efforts? I guess that's up to them to determine.

17 comments:

  1. It would be interesting to know the symbolism of each of those objects. I do know the red carp is a symbol of good luck in certain Eastern cultures, and that origami cranes also have similar symbolism. The cultural anthropology major within me is intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that is so a conversation I would have loved to have. How did they pick everything? How long have they done this? Is this a just this year thing? Alas, because of the nature of the assignment, I couldn't interrupt them to ask.

      Delete
  2. Quite an interesting shrine. If it helps them focus …

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They didn't lack for focus. But if they feel like they need some luck, too, who am I to judge?

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yeah, they really hit as many religions as they could.

      Delete
  4. They are covering all bases there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder who is in the picture? I've never heard of a class doing this before, and I wonder whether it was teacher or student led? I'm also not sure what I think about it, I guess if they don't blame the "good luck charm" for not doing well, rather than their lack of preparation (for example) it can't hurt.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Replies
    1. I'm not sure. Perhaps they're fans? Most of the teachers have used his Crash Course videos from time to time. But your guess is as good as mine.

      Delete
  7. I see your in more progressive area. I couldn't see that happening here.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Interesting! The fish is supposed to be lucky in Chinese folklore, but more than that, I think "prosperity". I usually associate prosperity with finances, but I suppose to a teen taking a test, prosperity could mean a good grade!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, a good grade would be "prosperity" in the context of school. Interesting how they applied that.

      Delete
  9. The meaning of them could be interesting ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure every bit of it had meaning for them.

      Delete
  10. Interesting. I'm familiar with the crane symbolism but not in this context. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's like they pulled luck symbols from any culture they could think of.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.