Thursday, February 24, 2022

Gleeful

Have you ever seen the TV show Glee? It's a musical about a high school choir, with full on production numbers. 

Just in case you thought that those classes don't exist, I can verify that they do. 

Thursday. Third period. High school choir.

The lesson plan stated that the student leaders and choreographers would run the class. When they arrived, I found a corner of the room to sit in (after getting the roll taken), and I watched the rehearsal. 

They cleared all the chairs and stands from the room. (This teacher also had a couple periods of band as well as a basic choir.) They spread out. And they got to dancing. 

Full on dancing. They kind of mumbled the lyrics of the song as they went over the movements. The student leaders stopped them frequently, correcting positions and movements. It got markedly better as the class wore on. 

Once they were satisfied with how much progress had been made, it was time to work on vocals. 

You would be surprised at how good a high school choir can sound. Of course, this was the class that one has to audition for, so these are the best of the school. But still, high school kids. 

This day they were going off book. This was a bit hard for the soloist, as he hadn't quite memorized his part yet. He found his sheet music and used it when it was his turn. 

They have some performances coming up. It's still early in spring semester, but they're getting close to competition season. They're good. They've been good for years. They'll be ready.

In case you're curious, they spent most of the period rehearsing this song (note the harmonies--yes they could do them): 

And then they had a little time to start working on their other song: 

16 comments:

  1. Awesome! My boys were both very into choir in high school and both were in the class that had to be auditioned for like you were in. It was so amazing how crazy good those kids were!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My daughter was homeschooled until highschool, then spent 1 and nearly 1/2 years at the local school. (Took the CHSPE after that) She was in drama, and the teacher also taught choir, so the drama productions always included musicals, which was a shame, but certainly easier on the teacher. They did nothing like Glee, High School Musical, choir stuff. That was probably disappointing to the choir students.
    I've never seen Glee or High School Musical!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to have the infrastructure for it. I suspect it would be hard to start up, but once going it perpetuates.

      Delete
  3. Although we don't have specialized high schools where I live, unlike where I grew up (NYC), the local high school was, and is, renowned for its music programs. I was in an elementary school chorus for two years (4th and 5th grade) which may have been related to my 4th/5th grade teacher running the choral program. I have few memories of it. I did watch Glee for the first couple of years it was on. I enjoyed your observations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing to see what they can do at that age.

      Delete
  4. Two of my sisters attended the Long Island performing arts high school. My daughters were into music and dance all through school. They’re also the generation that watched Glee religiously. So yeah, I know exactly what you’re talking about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ugh, I'm glad I never had to take a class like that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That must have been fun to watch. I auditioned for what my high school called 'concert choir' and made it on my first try. That's a good memory, though there were bullies even there. ~sigh~ We got to tour a bit of Europe, though. :D Be well, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, they go on tour, too. At least, they did in the before times. I'm not sure if they get to go this year.

      Delete
  7. The Pentatonix song makes me even want to jump up and dance! I bet all that young energy and creativity creates a great show to see! I loved Glee, the series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, they're amazing to watch. I've been to assemblies (in the before times) where they perform for the school. They are good.

      Delete
  8. I saw the show Glee a few times.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Watched Glee, but didn't know how "real" the idea of a glee type club in schools was.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have concluded that you and I don't watch the same shows. I have never seen that one either. LOL....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't watch it much. I caught it a few times.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.