Wednesday, June 1, 2022

Slimy

One day on CNN 10 there was a story about "soft" robots. I thought they kind of looked like they were made of slime. I mentioned this and then asked if the students had ever made slime. They had not.

Oh, then we had to do this.

Like with the paper airplanes last week, this is not the sort of thing I would encourage in a general ed class. But these students are not those students

It took me a couple weeks to acquire ingredients. And then I figured last Tuesday would be a good day to attempt the "experiment". I found a video online that described the process, and I showed it to them.

This video used acrylic paint to color the slime, and I was glad to see it as in the very cursory research I did before springing this project on them, I only saw them use food coloring. We did not have food coloring. But we had paint.

Jonas and Jennifer agreed they'd like to try blue slime. I had Jennifer pour out the glue. Then she added the water. I did the bit with the borax, and Jonas stirred. 

It came together rather well, actually. 

We put glitter in, but you can't really see it.

We offered some to Natalie. She wouldn't be bothered (as she was on her computer, so she was content). We offered some to Penelope, but she told us no. Yohana liked hers so much that it got all over her sweatshirt (oops). 

Then Keyla offered some to Doris...

Doris remains outside and lately Keyla has been spending her days outside supervising her. So, I did not see what happened when Keyla took the slime to Doris. All I know is that Keyla returned a short time later, threw the rest of the slime (pictured above) into the trash, and told me I didn't want to know what Doris had done with it. 

Okay, then. 

Jonas and Jennifer put their slime into containers and took it home. I'm tempted to try the slime again, this time with less glue (as only a couple of them enjoyed the project) and different colors. But I don't think we'll have time to get to it.

Anyway, my curiosity is sated. I know how the thing works. And now they do, too.

24 comments:

  1. I can see that being a messy project...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a wonderful activity! I love the "don't want to know..." bit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh boy. But making the slime sounds like the backbone of a fun day at school. Plus, maybe they learned some science. Side note: borax is apparently really effective at killing ants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter (6th grade, going into 7th) and her friends recently considered starting a slime empire where they made and sold slime to their classmates. She's got it down to an artform, mixing in all sorts of things like shaving cream for a fluffy version and lotion for scented slime, sometimes sand for texture. I've got a couple of gallons of white glue hanging out at home--my investment in her fledging business. She and her friends split $22 between them, so I guess there was some success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, just google slime and there are all sorts of different recipes. Although, in the middle school classroom... I have horror stories.

      Delete
  5. Once again sounds like it was an excellent idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, slime … very popular when my kids were young.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was. I don't see it around as much anymore (which is a good thing).

      Delete
  7. Love it! Do you think any of them could handle knitting or crochet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well, now you've got me speculating as to just what Doris did with that slime. Great experiment, and it seemed that you engaged a few of those students.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Um, my 12yo is the master slime maker. She taught herself and makes multiple batches all colored to her liking. Her friends take theirs home in plastic bags. It's pretty cool to make!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that seems to be the age when it takes.

      Delete
  10. Brave soul. You could've had slime everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a bit apprehensive when using glue, especially those having curing time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What exactly do you do with slime?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is a question for the students. It just kind of exists, as far as I know.

      Delete
  13. I shudder to think what Doris did. Nice project!

    Sorry I've been absent. I miss my lovely blogging friends but not struggling with sign-in issues. ~sigh~ Overall, I've been enjoying other hobbies and lost track of time. At least I know I am not addicted to the Internet. lol Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The blogosphere will still be here. We all need time away, even if it's just because.

      Delete
  14. I have always said that teachers and day care workers deserve a special pat on the back for the jobs they do. Here is your special pat....I could not do what you do. You are awesome. As for slime, not making it!! I tried to keep my kids from stuff like that since I was the one that cleaned the house! lol...Now I know this is not the same but I have a container on my desk at work called Farp (I think) .....its like silly putty. But if you pull it out of the container, and push it back in you get a fart sound. I enjoyed doing that to the new guy (few yrs back) at work. I did it and said excuse me......then I busted out laughing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would not have attempted this with a class that would have made a mess. These students don't really. And I know they didn't take it home and make a mess. (It's still in the baggy I gave it to them in, and it's still in their backpacks.)

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.