Friday, June 3, 2022

The Evidence

I have mentioned Natalie's obsession with her computer before

Most of the time, when she has computer time, she goes on YouTube and watches station identifications over and over again. Lately, I've noticed she goes to CNN 10 and replays the video we watched earlier that day. She likes to replay bits over and over. I think she likes the sounds. She'll mimic them sometimes.

The other thing she does that she's not supposed to do is to open up her camera and take videos.

Early on, I put tape over her camera. I expected her to object, but she's left it alone the whole time. I don't think she notices the non-picture. I think she's doing it for the audio. 

But be that as it may, we don't want her recording random things in the classroom. (Who knows what conversations she's catching?) 

I thought I was stopping her from recording. I was wrong.

Last week, as I was clearing her computer, the camera app popped up. And I just happened to the file of what was saved. And it was a bit shocking...

That's more than 5000 images. As you can see, I was deleting all of them. The majority of them were just the blank screen (as I had put tape over the camera), but there were a couple with an image of Natalie's forehead. 

Then I got to the videos...

Over 3000 videos. 

If I had more time and more help, we would totally have someone spend the day with Natalie and work on having her do something besides take videos of a blank screen and her banging on her table. But as it is...

And she still manages to save a dozen or so new files daily (now that I'm checking daily). Sigh.

12 comments:

  1. Yeesh. That many photos and videos makes me wonder how slow the computer had to be running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does she know she's saving them? Does she go back to look at them? I'm actually a bit surprised the classroom computers have a camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do think she listens to them. (If she looked at them, she would have noticed that I put tape over the camera months ago.) I doubt she goes back very far, though.

      These Chromebooks need the camera capability as they were used when we were doing distance learning last school year.

      Delete
  3. 5000 images ? I never had that many on my comp at any given time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. That's a lot. I hardly ever think to take pictures from my computer camera. Different generations...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a generational thing. Everyone else that age would use their phones. But she doesn't have a phone. I don't know if she realizes that she's saving images, actually. It's more of a stim thing, her on that camera.

      Delete
  5. I wonder how many are opps.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  6. 5000 images???!!! Oh my!

    Have a great week ahead, Liz.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.