Thursday, June 2, 2022

Virtual Ceremony

At the adult transition center, the students don't "graduate". We had our "culmination" ceremony last Wednesday. 

Today is actually our last day of school. Woo-hoo! I'll have the wrap up of the school year along with my year end stats for you next week. And then the week after... Summer school. Because they asked me and I said yes.

The students "age out" at 22. We only have one student who will be 22 in July. 

It was a virtual ceremony even though the other schools in the district are holding in person graduations this year. The principal had put together a slide show, and I set up the virtual meet to be projected in the class for all the students.

I have been projecting things to the students since I took over this class. No issues. For this? No sound.

I tried everything. In the end, while they could see everything on screen, they had to hear the ceremony via the speakers on my laptop computer. Sigh. 

It was a nice ceremony. The had pictures of all nine "graduates" along with their baby pictures. So cute. 

Because it was virtual, it went a lot quicker than it would have if everything had been in person. I totally copped out when it was time for me to talk about Elena. I wished her luck in her future. Luckily, Ms. L (the class' newly retired teacher) was there (as a surprise), so she said a few words about Elena. It was sweet. 

And then there was a spot for pictures (the families could come to have pictures taken) and cake. 

I'm going to miss this class when I leave. At least I got to do this celebration with them.

11 comments:

  1. Hi Liz - so pleased you got to be there for this class - while also knowing it's the end of term, until the Summer school starts - all the best - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. There always has to be some inexplicable tech problem cropping up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrat to your class.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know that you must enjoy what you do cause for me, not something I would do if I did not enjoy it. However, this is the first time I think I ever saw you post that you would miss a class. That makes me know that you do enjoy what you do. Thank you for taking the time to get to know your class. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I'm going to miss them. But I can still pop in next year as a sub if their teacher needs a day off.

      Delete
  5. Congrats to them and to you, Liz! I’ve enjoyed getting to know the students. You were certainly in the groove with them. Best kind of teacher in my book. Hope you get some downtime before your first summer school assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So, it's over for the school year and, when all was reviewed, you will miss your class. It's no wonder. You may have made a real difference in their lives. You have enriched them. And you did come up with something to say about Elena. I can only hope that she (and her family, especially if she has siblings) does have luck in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I said nothing about Elena, really. And I didn't make any sort of difference. I was a placeholder. I'm okay with that.

      Delete
  7. I'm glad you got to do that celebration with them, too. Even if there were some technical difficulties. Glad you were able to find a workaround, though.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.