Thursday, June 16, 2022

The Tech Works

About a month ago, I was going through my work email saved files looking for the calendar for the next school year. As I was digging through that, I found a bunch of emails I had saved for various reasons that I no longer needed. 

Well, I'm sure you know what happened next. I spent some time (it was a moment when I had some time) going through and deleting a bunch of things that I no longer needed. There was the email which contained the calendar for the previous school year. There were various COVID testing emails. There were links to PowerPoints for student testing that had long passed.

And while I was at it, I found the email that contained a link to a PowerPoint on how to connect the school-issued computer to the classroom projector remotely.

What were the chances I'd need that information again? 

Pretty good, I thought. I mean, the last time I was covering a class at that school, it was September. And I didn't need to remotely hook up the computer. But, I figured that there was a good chance I'd need that information again, and since I didn't use it daily, I'd need the resource.

On the first day of the trainings for this summer school class, I patted myself on the back. One of the things that I did do that day was to check out a school computer from the library, and I got it hooked up to the in-class projector. I absolutely used that PowerPoint to get the thing going. 

And I thought about that day when I found that email. 

I'm so glad I was thinking ahead. I just didn't realize how soon I was going to need that information again.

13 comments:

  1. That definitely sounds like one of those things you'll need over and over again, until they replace the system with something even more complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it strange (or just coincidental) when you find things just before you need them? That actually happened to me this week, so we must both be on a roll of sorts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was nice that I saw that I had it so I knew I could access it. Very nice indeed.

      Delete
  3. I pretty much now go though my e mail in morning. Most of them get deleted
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I save emails like that I tend to forget where I saved them. Luckily, Outlook is becoming smarter than me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, it's easy to misfile or forget what file contains what. For the work email, I have a folder that's titled "misc info to keep". But that folder does collect a lot.

      Delete
  5. Cleaning out is always a good idea, but it does take time. I recently started cleaning out my emails, but didn't get very far. Switched to cleaning out my texts and have made decent headway with that. Good thing you saved that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sucks when you want to get it all done in a day. When I sit back and say it'll take days and I plan to do a bit each day, I find it goes easier.

      Delete
  6. Nice, that an old email came in handy right after you found it buried in the hordes of now useless ones.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.