Wednesday, June 29, 2022

Rainy Day of Chaos

It doesn't rain in southern California after about April, so the rainstorm on this particular Wednesday in June was unexpected. (It was forecast, but no one believes that we'll actually get rain in June.) 

And there was thunder and lightning, too. 

I was not surprised that the class was missing a few students. I was surprised when my projector wouldn't connect to my computer. 

More like panicked. I was quite panicked. 

I have set up this entire class on Google Slides. I project everything we're working on. 

I did get the thing to work, but it kept blinking out, which was distracting to the kiddos. But somehow we made it through. 

Until the thing completely died towards the end of the period. 

But they had something to work on, so I had them do that while I fought with the electronics. That had worked perfectly every day up until this day. 

My next class was doubled in size. The teacher next door (Ms. B) felt like death warmed over (her words), so she left early. As they couldn't find her a sub, the only thing to do was to combine her class with mine. 

I had the room.

And, at least I figured out how to get the projector working. 

Her class worked on their stuff individually. I was able to instruct my class with a working projector. 

While in class, a car pulled up outside. It wasn't until after school that I was able to verify my supposition (I was right). 

At the beginning of the school year, I covered a vacant English class. The teacher (Ms. W) had taken a sabbatical. Ms. B had been hired to replace her. 

Well, Ms. W has tendered her resignation. She had left some of her supplies in the classroom. She had been coordinating with Ms. B for a time to come and get them. This was the day she arrived. In the middle of the school day. 

But the students were with me.

They wondered about the car. I didn't explain. It would have taken too long, and I didn't want to go off on that tangent. 

I was really glad to see the end of that day. 

As for the projector, it worked perfectly the next day. And the day after that. I wonder if the electrical storm was the culprit.

12 comments:

  1. I love a good rain storm with thunder and lightening. My position close to the lakes usually defuses the worst ones.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We don't usually get thunder and lightning. Very, very occasionally.

      Delete
  2. My guess is, based on what was said, the storm was at fault somehow. Without more context, could have been a power issue, internet issue, or a few other things. At least it's working now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't the internet. But the projector started doing the blinky thing again today. Sigh. One more day, and then it's no longer my problem.

      Delete
  3. Man, it was one of those days where EVERYTHING happens at once.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like a VERY long and frustrating day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some days are diamonds and some days are coal. There was some song with the first part of that but I made up the second part. You had a coal day sounds like, but you made it work anyhow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was just one of those days. At least they make for interesting blog posts.

      Delete
  6. Well, that's annoying. I hope this thing will work for you tomorrow. I keep having an image of the old projectors from the 70s...hahaaa. you need the rain so I'm glad you got some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I should have taken a picture for the blog. I did at one point, but I forget where that post is. No, we're high tech. It's nice.

      Delete
  7. That was interesting interlude with the two women. It would make a great scene in a story.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.