Thursday, April 21, 2022

Repetition

So, um, we did it. Natalie has now learned how to log in to her computer. 

I started this story three weeks ago. I decided to teach Natalie how to type out her username. I recited it to her, and she typed. She had the whole thing memorized in a day.

If I stood over her while she typed it, it would work. But I would hear her sometimes recite her username when I wasn't standing over her. It wouldn't be long before she would come up to the teacher's desk to request, "Help, please". 

(One of the things we work on with the students is for them to request help when they need it. They don't always.) 

I tried to get her to not log out as often as she does. (She isn't good at exiting things, but she knows how to restart the computer. And this leads to having to log in again. A lot.) 

Because I stood over her while she was logging in so much, I spied the big problem she was having. She always hesitated over the period key. 

So, the week before spring break, I asked Natalie if I could put a sticker on the period key so she could locate it. She agreed. 

And after that, she hasn't called me to help her log in. 

Did she suddenly stop logging out? Nope. I hear her reciting her username periodically. 

But now, I see that it actually works for her.

Stubborn Natalie can learn something through repetition. Now, if I could only leverage that to teach her something useful. Because stubborn, she will fight me on doing anything she doesn't want to do.

14 comments:

  1. She learned something. That must make you feel good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know. I might have made things harder on myself.

      Delete
  2. Big smiles all around! These days, I’m like Natalie, being stubborn about what I don’t want to learn. For me, that’s the cell phone.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She always can learn something ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ideally. If only she wouldn't fight us on it.

      Delete
  4. You found something that worked! One thing down, a thousand more to go.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like she made good headway and will probably grow from that as she gains confidence on the computer. At least I hope so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, she has confidence on the computer. Her deficits just made the logging in part harder for her.

      Delete
  6. Love your simple yet useful method that helps Natalie with her tech issues!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Once I figured out her only real issue was being unable to see the period key, it was easy to find a solution.

      Delete
  7. The sticker sounds like a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like you found a solutions for one problem. We all get stubborn. The best way is to allow changes to happen. To bad Natalie does not have the ability.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.