Friday, April 29, 2022

YouTube Music

It was Thursday. We were watching CNN 10. They did a story on the sun's eleven year solar cycle (as we're reaching a busy time, solar-wise). 

And suddenly I thought of a song. 

I'm sure you know that you can find just about any song on YouTube. The students like to play their favorite songs when they have free computer time. I've discussed this before

As the story played out for the students to watch, I started humming this song to myself. And I realized that I just had to play it for them. I just had to. 

After we finished the day's video, we discussed what we saw. Mostly that's me asking, "What did they talk about?" and the students repeating something like, "The sun". 

(I'd welcome longer conversations, and with the news lately, I do go a bit more in depth on things. But they don't really understand nuances, so things stay fairly surface, and we can't really get into deep discussions.) 

So, this time, instead of talking too much about the sun, I pulled up the song and played it for them. 

I enjoyed it more than they did. But I enjoyed it a whole lot. (Jennifer was not amused.)

20 comments:

  1. Perfect song for the day. I've not heard it before. Kudos to you for finding something to both entertain them and to keep them on topic. I bet they'll remember this. Maybe not the songs word or all they heard in the lesson; but they'll remember they had a cool teacher that played this song. It's actually packed with lots of good information. Well done. I surely had no teachers like this in school. Giving away my age again talking about how strict and fuddy duddy they all were.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think the song ever became a hit. I'm not sure when I caught it. But I do love pulling it out when the sun comes up as a topic.

      Delete
  2. “The sun is hit, the sun is hot” Very catchy. Thanks for sharing, Liz. I have something to sing when I tire in the yard. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I wish we talked about the sun in class. That sounds fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. U sound like a cool teacher i wish to hav. Playing videos to teach kids is so good!

    Dropping by from a to z "The Pensive"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I can pull something like that out, I will.

      Delete
  5. Seems like the song would be perfect for that classroom.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A bit too '90s for them, but I like it, so it was perfect for me.

      Delete
  6. Perfect music for the day. Not the greatest song in the world, but very effective. Very creative lesson,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not a fan of TMBG? It definitely has that '90s vibe.

      Delete
  7. Good one! Catchy and earworm material. I might include this in one of my Monday music posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty easy to find earworms from TMBG.

      Delete
  8. Nice song but I have to say, I don't think I ever heard it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think it ever received radio airplay.

      Delete
  9. I hadn't heard this song before but it's good you were able to share it with your students! :)

    Hope that you had a good weekend :) It's a nice relaxing long weekend here.

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's nice to pull out something that goes with what comes up in the news of the day.

      Delete
  10. I've not heard of that song before. Definitely earworm material!

    Happy Monday, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great song if you're watching something about the solar cycle! I thought it was quite catchy.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.