Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Escape the Classroom

Wednesday. It was sometime after 2:30 PM, the portion of the day where things really wind down. The students leave at 3:15 PM, and that last 45 minutes is partially clean up time and partially them on their computers watching whatever their favorite thing is. 

A hummingbird flew into the room. 

It flew towards the lights in the ceiling. It fluttered about the room from front to back to front again. Those suckers are fast, so it didn't remain in one spot long. 

The instructional aides were startled. 

Then it became a thing of how to get the bird out of the classroom. I turned out the lights hoping that the creature would go towards the outside light. No luck. 

The bird remained near the ceiling, so it wasn't getting low enough to see the door, let alone go through it. 

The aides didn't want to use a broom, because they didn't want to inadvertently maim the hummingbird. Various options were tried to shoo it, but the aides are short, and the ceiling is high. Earl was called in to assist (as he's tall), but he didn't have any luck, either. 

Vera looked up hummingbirds on her phone, and she thought making it some sugar water might tempt it to land lower. Sugar was found. We have a sink, so water was easy. And there's a microwave in the classroom. 

This also failed.

Then the suggestion was to call the main office. So, I did. I asked the clerk if anyone had any ideas on how to remove a hummingbird from a classroom. The clerk said she'd send the principal.

No, I did not think the principal needed to get involved in this. But the principal came. And left. Nope, she couldn't figure it out either. 

In the end (as it was nearing time for the class to be dismissed), we left the classroom door open, and the custodian would be informed of the issue. 

The next day, I arrived to a classroom still wide open. (I generally lock the door before leaving. I had hoped to find the classroom locked up tight.) But, it turned out that a couple of the instructional assistants had arrived before me and had opened the room. They searched the room for bird or remains of bird, but found nothing. 

So, I asked. The school secretary asked around, and she learned that the custodian did, in fact, remove the hummingbird from the classroom. 

It took him a half hour. 

Well, at least we don't now have a pet hummingbird. I mean, I wouldn't mind, just as long as it lived outside. 

31 comments:

  1. Love to know how he got it out of the classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know that we aren’t the only ones to have such a treat. Last year a hummingbird flew into our house, up the stairs, and into our bedroom. It took about an hour to tire out flying back and forth across the bed near the ceiling. We managed to cover it with a soft scarf and ever so gently, the Husband carried it outside. Thank goodness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Replies
    1. Me too. I didn't want the bird stuck inside.

      Delete
  4. Birds where they don't belong always ruffle feathers. :) I recall birds flying into classrooms when I was younger. I also had a bird fly into a section of my house. My husband had no idea how to get it out, and I'm all, "alright, I'll take care of it." Apparently growing up with parakeets was a blessing there, because all it took was to cover it with a towel, loosely scoop it up, then release it outside. Took my husband by surprise that I had such mad skills. Probably would be more difficult in the classroom as there aren't many bath towels lying around...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it was flying so high. The ceilings are probably 10 ft up. No one's quite that tall. And the hummingbird stayed pretty close to the ceiling the entire time.

      Delete
  5. Hummingbirds are so flighty, it's be near impossible to catch one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The best type of pet is one you don't have to take home.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't want to keep a pet in the classroom. I'd always be worried about weekends and holidays.

      Delete
  7. Good thing it didn't happen earlier in the day. No one would have been able to think about anything else!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know the towel trick (I had parakeets growing up, too) but I'm not sure that would work with a hummer. I hope the custodian didn't injure it. They are so small and can actually be quite feisty for their tiny size. P.S. they are attracted to the color red, but not sure that would have worked for you, either.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silly, hummingbird.

    I've never seen a hummingbird in real life. I'm glad it's now out of the classroom (and school). Hopefully it was removed safely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? We have loads around here. So many people put out hummingbird feeders, and they do hover over them.

      Delete
  10. Poor bird! Glad he escaped. We had a bat in our upstairs bedrooms. We all slept under sheets.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yikes. Although, a bat should miss you due to echolocation. I would hope.

      Delete
  11. Trapped birds are the worst--for them and for the people who have to deal with the issue. Glad this hummingbird story turned out well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. I wanted the hummingbird to survive the classroom.

      Delete
  12. Hopefully it was still alive and flying (humming even) when he got it out. I really don't want to know...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe so. I didn't ask the specific question, but I assume that if it took him a half hour, he was dealing with a live bird.

      Delete
  13. A bird (not a hummingbird) got into my mother's house one evening and it took three of us and a long, long time to get it safely outside. A hummingbird would have been much harder. I'm glad you all tried to get it out. Hope the custodian did manage to get it out alive.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Something for the kids to talk about, and not likely something they'll forget. Remember the day when....You'll have to do a part 2 after finding out how the custodian got the bird safely out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't generally get to talk to the custodian, so there probably won't be a part 2. And it seems like the students have already forgotten. Well, maybe not forgotten, but moved on.

      Delete
  15. What an exciting end to the day. :D This reminds me that I need to prepare my hummingbird feeders. We only see the ruby-throated variety but they can be quite numerous. Be well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup, it's getting to be that time of year.

      Delete
  16. I'm glad someone was able to get it out. We have birds fly in our back (screened in) porch sometimes and get stuck in there. It's always a pain to get them out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we could reason with the birds. They'd get that we're not trying to do them any harm.

      Delete
  17. I'm glad the hummingbird found d it's way outside, with a little help of course

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.