Friday, April 15, 2022

Molar, Cracked

I broke another tooth. 

The last broken tooth. I did not get a picture of this one.

I think it was Wednesday, but it might have been Tuesday. It was evening. I was sitting in front of the TV, snacking on ice cream. It felt like one of the chocolate chips (more a shard, really) was stuck between my teeth. But by the time I brushed my teeth later that night, I realized that it wasn't a chocolate chip I felt. 

Nope, what I was feeling was the tooth. A small piece of it had been shorn off. 

After last year's incident, I figured that the best way forward would be to take a day off work to deal with it. I cleared it with the sub caller and I made the appointment. 

I made the right choice. I was in the dentist chair for three and a half hours. 

The dentist took a look. Numbed me up. I wasn't sure if I was numb enough, so he gave me more. He pulled off the shard that had formed (which you couldn't see until I moved it as it fit in my tooth like a puzzle piece). Only then did I realize I had been numb enough as my tongue (which I didn't think was numb) didn't feel the hole that was left once the shard was removed. (The tip of my tongue felt it, but not the side next to the hole.) 

Ah well. Better to be too numb than not numb enough. 

The dentist drilled the tooth so that he could fit a crown over it. He fitted me for the crown. And then I left with a temp crown in place until my permanent crown could be fabricated. (You're reading this on a Friday. My appointment to put the permanent crown on was for yesterday.) 

Buy on Zazzle

These things go much easier (mentally) when I've been through them before. I knew what to expect. And that tooth has been giving me issues long enough that I knew this was coming, sooner or later.

So, now I have two fake molars, both on the bottom of my jaw. One on the right side (last year), one on the left (this one). Balance has been restored. (Yes, they are exact opposites.)

32 comments:

  1. Oh, no... I'm sorry to hear this. I have one crown. I remember telling the dentist to go ahead and pull the tooth (the furthest back one) and he said losing one tooth was the same as losing two, since the one above or below would be useless. So, I had it done. It came off once, when I first moved here, and the dentist put it back on, and it hasn't budged since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it's pretty seamless once the thing is all healed up. Worth it in the end, I think.

      Delete
  2. Ouch. Ice cream isn't usually hard enough to crack teeth! Or maybe it was one of the chocolate chips.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no. This must have been chipped tooth month as I chipped a front tooth but fortunately all it needed was a filling. I bit down on a piece of pit in a maraschino cherry years ago, and ended up with a bridge. Dentistry has come a long way in my lifetime, but it is so expensive now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. And it is chipped tooth month. My roommate also is getting a crown. It's like it's everywhere all of a sudden.

      Delete
  4. Oh no! this made my mouth hurt just by reading lol. I just visited the dentist and need to get a wisdom tooth removed. Wish me luck! Have a lovely weekend!
    PerlaGiselle | iamperlita.com
    ♥ | INSTAGRAM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I hear, getting a wisdom tooth removed isn't that bad. But I wouldn't know. Good luck.

      Delete
  5. I have one crown. My brother got it for me as a birthday Christmas present. But unfortunately I didn't have dental coverage most of my life so I have very few teeth left on top.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also I can't believe that piece stayed in and you didn't end up swallowing it. I guess its good it did stay put til the dentist could get it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't fully detached. And I was careful. I imagine it would have been painful to pull it the rest of the way out, which is why I was glad to be numbed up before the dentist did it.

      Delete
  7. It seems like most things are easier mentally when you know what to expect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Liz - glad that's been sorted out ... teeth and pain can be so troubling. Enjoy the weekend - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're right, this dove-tails well with my K post.
    Glad to know (hope) you're done with it now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All that's left is the healing up. Still a bit of pain, but it's minor now.

      Delete
  10. I am also getting another crown. I have several.

    When I was growing up dentists used huge silver fillings. The fillings have an unfortunate tendency to deteriorate after a few decades, leaving teeth vulnerable to cracking and breaking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That tooth had a big filling in it, so this tracks.

      Delete
  11. Ouch! I am so sorry to hear this. Unfortunately I speak from experience. These crowns come with a hefty price.
    How ironic that you noticed the trouble while eating ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That they do. I'm going to forever joke about what breaks my teeth as the other one broke on a meatball. Talk about soft foods! Although, I think the issue was the chocolate chips...

      Delete
  12. Ouch, glad you got it taken care of quickly. I've chipped a tooth before, but only a small portion of it. Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In this case it was a small part of the tooth, but I think the fact that it already had a filling made it more prudent to do a crown.

      Delete
  13. I cracked a tooth several years ago while eating Quaker Oats Bran. And that's how I ended up with a crown. Then, I went to Burger King and got a cardboard crown. Because I like to think I'm special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that was a missed opportunity. I totally should have worn a paper crown to that appointment. Sigh.

      Delete
  14. Is crack tooth season. I cracked a tooth. The bones are good, root good, no decay, and nerve is good. For the price they charge for a crown it should be made of gold.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh it's good you could get it fixed up at the dentist so quickly! It's crazy it broke while you were eating ice cream though!

    Hope you had a nice weekend and a good Easter :)

    Away From The Blue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I break teeth on soft foods. I guess you could call that an anti-superpower ;)

      Delete
  16. I'm glad you could get it fixed so quickly. Going to the dentist in no fun though.

    Happy Monday, Liz.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my gosh....that is terrible. My first thought as reading that was, how do you break a tooth on ice cream? Then I read the choc chip, ouch. I might have a lot of issues, and I might have several fillings but my teeth are healthy and strong. AMAZING isn't it. I know those crowns are not cheap. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  18. As we get older, it seems like a race. Which will go first us or our teeth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to be done with teeth issues for a while now.

      Delete
  19. Glad you were able to get it all sorted out.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.