Thursday, April 14, 2022

Leaky

We have a water issue at the place where I live. Have had for years. Whenever something goes wrong, water to the whole complex is turned off. Sigh. 

Two Sundays ago, at roughly 11 PM, we got word that the water to the whole complex was being turned off due to an "unexpected plumbing issue". I didn't think much of it and went to bed.

But, the water had not been turned back on by the time I had to leave for work. (This made for an awkward morning.) And it had not been turned back on by the time I got home from work. We did get an update: 

The plumbing vendor is on site working on the leak, and we don't yet know when the water will be able to be turned back on. It is a complex situation which includes the pipes from the laundry facilities and the City is also involved. Our property manager worked past midnight last night coordinating resources to mitigate the excessive damage caused by the leak, and is continuing to work to get it resolved as soon as possible.
Scuttlebutt was that maybe by 9 PM we'd have water. Maybe. 

So, I wimped out. I got a hotel room for the night.

I mean, if I have time to prepare for no water, I make contingencies. I have things set up to "survive" the duration. But with no warning...

We got an email after 8 PM that the situation was resolved and the water was back on. By then I was already set up in said hotel room, showered and ready for bed. So, we did have the water back by 9 PM. But only barely. 

I'm not sure if I made the right choice, but it made for a less stressful evening anyway. It was like a mini vacation right before spring break. 

(As you read this, I am on spring break.)

15 comments:

  1. They can't expect tenants to go without water that long and not take action! Any longer and they'd have been asked to put everyone up in a hotel. I don't blame you. I love hotel beds. The mattresses are always so much better than mine, and I love the crisp sheets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't even get me started on the management of this place. They would have fought us tooth and nail if we'd asked them to pay for it.

      Delete
  2. One of those "better safe than sorry" things. I wouldn't trust management to be taking care of the situation either.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like fun, taking a room for the night in a hotel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice. If I were to do something like that again, I think I'd plan it better.

      Delete
  4. Would it have been the right choice for me??? YES....like you, you have to prepare for things like that. With it being a water issue they probably could not give a notice and that makes it even worse. SUCKS, just the same.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they're doing regular maintenance, they do tell us ahead of time. And they turn off the water during business hours, so usually I'm at work. Middle of the night is an emergency situation. Annoying, but understandable.

      Delete
  5. It seems like they really should have to pay for motels for people when it's going to be that long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They should. They won't. (I'd have to sue.)

      Delete
  6. You totally made the right choice. Peace of mind is precious. I hope you enjoyed your stay. Did it come with a nice breakfast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't ask. I had to be up and out to make my dentist appointment.

      Delete
  7. Enjoy the spring break. I would use the pool if I got a hotel room. I don't get the chance to swim much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Today is the last day of spring break, so I can't say I did much other than rest. Which I needed. As for pools, there is one in my condo complex, and my father has one, so if I want to swim, I can swim. I don't even own a bathing suit.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.