Thursday, March 10, 2022

I'm Back

It had been a month since I had last been at the adult transition center. I was called to cover the class I had first covered back in October

The class had gained two students since I was there last. (When they closed Ms. S's class, they shuffled the students around to the remaining three classes.) But because of how small the school is, I already knew of the students, so it wasn't a big transition. 

When the instructional assistant Keyla arrived, she immediately got to work cleaning and rearranging. 

See, Ms. L, the class' teacher, was retiring. And Keyla had some things she wanted to change in the classroom. As well, they were clearing out Ms. L's stuff so she could take it home. 

Deep sigh. 

I initially got the call for Monday. On Monday they added Tuesday and Wednesday. On Wednesday they added Friday. (Ms. L returned on Thursday. She picked up her stuff and officially checked out with the school.) 

And on Friday morning, I was officially offered the long term. Because of this year, the number of days I can do a long term has been increased to sixty. The last day of school will be day sixty-one. 

I'm not saying that I'll definitely be in this class for the remainder of this school year. Several things could happen. But as of this moment, this is the plan. 

I'm not sure if I'm happy about this or disappointed. We'll see how it all plays out.

22 comments:

  1. I hope it works out to what you want, whether you stay or go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure what I want. I'll just keep on until I know for sure.

      Delete
  2. A lot of factors to weigh in, no doubt. You’ve reminded me of that poem about the path rarely taken. Best wishes, whichever way you decide.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The middle school around here has been short a math teacher for the entire school year. I'm guessing you're going to be there until the penultimate day of school.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you will like it as it is nice to have something steady.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm actually content with day-to-day subbing. If I wanted steady, I would have finished my full credential decades ago.

      Delete
  5. My youngest is almost twenty-three. I have no clue what an adult transition center is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, you weren't with me last year. It's a school for the very most special ed students, who have serious disabilities. It's transition/training for the "real world" with job help and such. But my students, while technically adults, will never be able to live on their own.

      Delete
    2. My oldest are 29 they have special needs. They can live on their own with outside support but they do not work. It is a sore subject for me due to the fact I think they can work, my ex-wife does not push them in that direction. I think she feels it would be inconvenient for her.

      Delete
    3. That sucks. This school is a program through the district. I suppose your kids' school district didn't have such a thing. I know there are programs for them, but I wouldn't begin to know where to find them.

      Delete
  6. On the one hand, I enjoy your adult transition center stories (I so wish something like that had been available to my autistic brother in law who is in his early 60's. None of this existed back then. On the other hand, I know you aren't totally happy about this. I do see your need for variety - I've worked as an office temp from time to time, although not for a long time - and I enjoyed the different assignments. Hoping this works out for you, however it ends up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. At least I have plenty of blog fodder. And it's only until the end of the school year. We'll see how long I last.

      Delete
  7. I don't know, going back to familiar surroundings. A good thing, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At this point all the high schools are familiar to me. I'm going to whine about this, probably until the end of the school year. I could always get out if I truly wanted to.

      Delete
  8. Should be interesting if you take the long term assignment

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sound like a study pay check.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's probably easier on all of you, knowing each other. Getting used to strangers might be hard for them, it is for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suppose. I did do those two weeks with them in October, so I'm not a complete stranger.

      Delete
  11. It means they are happy with you, which is awesome. And at least you won't have the huge transition to the class that an unknown room of kids would have. But does that mean you don't work the last day of school, or do they just let you do the extra day?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Liz - sounds like you've worked through the odds and ends this new assignment holds for you and the class. All the best - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.