Thursday, March 31, 2022

Someone's Missing

Thursday. Lunchtime. 

The students were eating. I was sitting with Penelope, as she needs to have someone watching her while she eats. (She can pretty much feed herself, but she makes a mess, and she has a hard time gripping her water cup when she wants it. She doesn't require a lot of supervision, but someone does need to be close by.) 

Things were fairly mellow. The instructional assistants were talking amongst themselves. 

"Wait. Where's Doris?" 

Berty is the aide in Ms. J's room. She also is the extra supervision on one of the buses, specifically, the bus that Doris rides to school. So she knew that Doris had been there. 

"Doris went home." And then I explained. 

Since this incident, her wetting incidences have gotten more extreme. On that day, she had wet herself seven times before our first break of the day (in a little over an hour). 

(Before you ask, we're working on the problem with the parent and the school. I don't want to go into all of it here, but there's a lot in the works.) 

It was one less issue we had to deal with on that day. 

I completely understand why Ms. L retired. I've been in the class three weeks and I'm about ready to throw in the towel. 

20 comments:

  1. Wow! I would not last a day. Best wishes, my dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Before Drew got his teaching license he worked in a group home for developmentally delayed adults. Adults with very severe cognitive limitations. His license is in special education, and when he was teaching full time he did a lot of self contained academic classes as well as inclusion classes. Now that he’s a permanent sub they will occasionally have him cover the life skills classes. He’s equipped by training and experience to handle the class, but he finds it very frustrating.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So he knows exactly the kind of class I'm covering. Yup, that's this population.

      Delete
  3. Sometimes throwing in the towel is the best move. Coming to that decision isn’t easy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the classroom requires more aids. Lucky you are the substitute teacher.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Doris really needs a one-to-one aide at this point. But we won't be getting one, sigh.

      Delete
  5. I once worked in science education. We had a set of rooms of what was in those days called a Special School. Basically a school for older teens/young adults with both mental delays and physical disabilities. I imagine much the same as your class. We had classes come to us from other schools to be able to do things their schools didn't have the equipment for, like DNA extraction from a pea. I have so much admiration for those teachers who worked with the kids with needs. I could not have done what they did day after day. I totally understand how hard this position must be for you, Liz, and have a lot of admiration for you taking it on and sticking with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is more than a sub should be required to do. The district absolutely has to provide people who have this training needed. Grrr.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. But *waves at everything*. We are in extraordinary times. We're working on the problem and I hope they come up with a solution soon.

      Delete
  7. People who help other really don't get the respect they need. Or the backing.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds exhausting! Best wishes :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't imagine doing that job. I hope things get better.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds very challenging ... Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh man...I would have theown that towel In 4 weeks ago or more.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.