Wednesday, March 16, 2022

The Streaker

It was my first full week as the official long-term sub for the moderate to severe special ed class (this link is not to my district, but it explains the terminology) for young adults. Things had been going as one would expect, with various issues cropping up. 

It was mow the lawn day, so we closed the back door to muffle the noise. Domingo joined us in the classroom, but Doris did not. 

Then the back door opened briefly. And two of the classroom instructional assistants gasped. 

From my angle, I did not see what they saw, but they informed me of the issue. 

Doris was without clothing from the waist down. 

Outside.

Both aides immediately went after Doris. 

Lately, Doris has been wetting herself, and she's resisted wearing diapers. (Several of our students wear diapers. But they're all old enough to resist if they do not like them.) Usually one of the aides will go with her to the restroom, but with the door closed, they did not catch her heading that way. 

Her family supplies her with a couple changes of clothes for just this eventuality. Alas, Doris had gone through her changes of clothes for the day. The aides found a loaner pair of sweats, and got everything handled. 

And then the principal came running in. One of the other teachers called the office to alert them to the issue. But by then things had been dealt with. 

The mowers had moved to the other side of the classroom, so we were able to open the back door. We had no more Doris incidents that day. 

These are not the things a sub generally has to deal with. But the gig is variable, so apparently it's not out of the question. 

21 comments:

  1. My friend Tinkerbell, dealt with many of the same issues when she worked for and adults education facility. It takes a very calm and compassionate person to deal with them. It sounds like Doris is acting out from stress. I wonder if the change in teachers or something at home is causing her extra anexity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the change in teachers is part of it. That can't be easy.

      Delete
  2. I think I've said it before, I have such respect for those who work with this population, because it can be so frustrating. One thing I noticed is that CA allows such students to stay in school until 22; in NY it is 21. I never realized that different states interpret the federal law differently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why. But yeah, it's 22 for this group.

      Delete
  3. Well, obviously you must be quite adaptable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was fortunate that the aides saw Doris before it could get worse. I wish you the best, Liz, with your longterm assignment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never a dull moment! Handled with grace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, never a dull moment with this group.

      Delete
  6. I feel great Sadness for Doris, where will she going in future.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Liz - so difficult ... but as you show us - you adapt as necessary, which must help in most cases. As Strayer says - 'handled with Grace' ... thank you - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  8. While it was a shock to the staff, I hope for Doris' sake none of the other students had the maturity to really understand. Must be so hard for her parents.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, just like the elderly with dementia. I was sitting in the lounge with my mom when this lady took her pants down and started going on the seat. I could not handle this job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's similar. With dementia, they were once in there. In this case, it's hard to tell what she understands.

      Delete
  10. I'm so thankful she has folks like you to keep her away from potential abusers. ~shudders~ Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This story is not over, sadly. But I don't think I'm going to tell it on the blog.

      Delete

I appreciate your comments.

I respond to comments* via email, unless your profile email is not enabled. Then, I'll reply in the comment thread. Eventually. Probably.

*Exception: I do not respond to "what if?" comments, but I do read them all. Those questions are open to your interpretation, and I don't wish to limit your imagination by what I thought the question was supposed to be.